Back from a trip with 1000 images

crotonmark

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Newbie in Europe with Canon T4i
Gonna get home with 1000 RAW images
Thought of processing these all in Lightroom is totally intimidating
What is the workflow you allude for a task like this ?

I need to process RAW images and make WB adjustments.

Thanks

Mark

Similar discussion going on over here: http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...ou-organize-sort-out-large-number-photos.html

Workflows vary a lot, but for me, pass #1 is discard or keep. I usually rate "keeps" as 1 star. Pass #2, I'll "promote" photos to 2 or 3 stars, and then maybe do another pass to knock down some of the 3's if I've still got more than I like. I don't really process anything lower than a 3.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks. Let me check the earlier discussion as well. Never rated and deleted on LR. Is it easy?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

-Sort out and remove bad pics
-Make basic changes to correct color for similar image types, based on exposure, lighting, color etc.
-Make a preset using the left side pane for the first set of like images.
-In the bottom row of images, select the images in your group that these edits will work for, and right click. You should see the option for something like "developing changes" and then you'll see presets, look for your user made presets and apply those.
-This will apply that edit to all selected photos.
-Then go to the next group and repeat.

I do this for my large sets and then go back for fine tuning for all the pictures that I think are "worthy" of the extra time and effort. It still takes a while and can be overwhelming but it's not nearly as bad as trying to go one by one.

Hope I explained that well, if it doesn't make sense let me know and I'll open up LR and make a step-by-step to get better details for you.

Also, installing a codec pack so you can view your RAW files in windows preview mode is a great way to speed up the process of removing pics that don't make the "cut".

Thanks Msteelio91. I'm not home yet. Sure to have questions then. Biggest adjustment needed is color from WB. Lots of shots in dark churches.

Thanks. Let me check the earlier discussion as well. Never rated and deleted on LR. Is it easy?

Yup. I turn on "auto advance", which helps move things along. Learn the keyboard shortcuts for rejecting & rating, too.

Lambertpix. What is auto advance in LR?

Actually so intimidated here just thinking of loading images to LR and forgetting about them. Then just saying my pics stunk!

Similar discussion going on over here: http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/photographic-discussions/365310-how-do-you-organize-sort-out-large-number-photos.html Workflows vary a lot, but for me, pass #1 is discard or keep. I usually rate "keeps" as 1 star. Pass #2, I'll "promote" photos to 2 or 3 stars, and then maybe do another pass to knock down some of the 3's if I've still got more than I like. I don't really process anything lower than a 3.

Never used ratings in LR. Can you tell it to delete all images in a folder with zero stars?

Lambertpix. What is auto advance in LR?

In the Library module, the Photo menu has an option for auto advance. When you hit a key to flag, reject, rate, etc., it updates the photo and immediately changes to the next one in sequence. It's made for quick passes to just perform one action on a photo.

Similar discussion going on over here: http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...ou-organize-sort-out-large-number-photos.html Workflows vary a lot, but for me, pass #1 is discard or keep. I usually rate "keeps" as 1 star. Pass #2, I'll "promote" photos to 2 or 3 stars, and then maybe do another pass to knock down some of the 3's if I've still got more than I like. I don't really process anything lower than a 3.

Never used ratings in LR. Can you tell it to delete all images in a folder with zero stars?

You can, but I don't do that because zero stars could also mean I haven't looked at the photo. I use "reject", then select all "rejects" and delete them. Frequently, I'll back all the images up to my NAS before deleting, though, just because I'm a little nuts that way. ;-)

I use auto advance too. That is where if you rate or flag a photo, it moves to the next photo.

My workflow is to go through and mark OOF and ones that I don't like with an x to reject, any ones that I love, I'll mark with a p for pick. I typically go through this process a couple of different times depending on the number of photos. In between time, I will work on processing the pick ones in LR and PSE.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back