Battery Performance

Ptyler22

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.harvardpress.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey guys, I just ordered a Canon 40D after 3 months of searching! But I want to make sure that I maintain the battery performance to get the most out of it and the replacement I bought with it. WHat things do you do to keep the battery working at its best? Also is it best to run the battery completely out right when you get it or charge it before you use it for the first time? Thanks guys!

I think you want to charge it before you use it. That is Canon's recommendation in the manual I think. It is always a good idea to let the battery fully discharge before charging after that first use.

I always ensure a battery is fully charged prior to it's first use, and then, as best I can, drain them and recharge them fully.

New batteries should be charged for a full 10 to 12 hours even if the fully charged light is on after an hour or two.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. These lithium batteries are pretty good.

Also, I use (and recommend) off brand batteries like those from Sterlingtek.com. They are very inexpensive and last longer than the Canon brand batteries.

OK, thanks guys, I got a replacement battery with it that was only $15 so it's not much, they last pretty long (or so the manufacturer says) so I think they should be good, Thanks!

It is my understanding that the memory effect in NiMH batteries is not present in Li ion batteries. I don't run mine down all the way and haven't seen any problems. I did buy a bunch of cheap replacement ones on amazon too for backups (and those work just fine).

So I shouldn't use the battery at all before I charge it the first time? I looked in the manual and I didn't see anything about it.

Probably not. It's a PITA, I know...having to wait before you play with your new camera...but that's what they say is best for the battery.

I'm not an expert, but I still think alot of your battery concerns are based on NiCad and NiMH rechargeables, not on Li Ion batteries which are a totally different animal. I think the recommendations to charge fully, discharge completely, etc. don't apply to the Li Ion breed.

http://www.zbattery.com/Battery-Memory-Effect

I'm assuming 40D come with same charger as 30D because they both take BP511 battery - the 30D charger will not "discharge" battery - mine does not.

40D for some reason is SO MUCH more energy efficient then the 30D. I put 800+ clicks on my friend's 40D and battery meter was still max - no idea how many it's good for. I'm guessing 1600+ at least. I doubt my friend recharged battery before loaning me camera.

"Li Ion" supposedly do not have "memory affect", but old habits die hard so I do not recharge until camera stops working due to no/low voltage :)

40D + grip (2 batteries) probably feel like lasting forever!!

It is my understanding that the memory effect in NiMH batteries is not present in Li ion batteries. I don't run mine down all the way and haven't seen any problems.

+1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 because somebody had to say it. I charge and drain as I feel, and love it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back