becoming an expert photographer?

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by ph0toe, Nov 7, 2019.

1. zombiesniper

zombiesniper Furtographer Extraordinaire! Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    The problem with the question is that the term "Expert" is subjective.

I would argue that the term expert would mean that the person would hold not only a doctorate level of knowledge (Don't read education, they're completely different) but also at least several years of experience after having gained this knowledge therefore there is no such thing as an "Expert Photographer"

NO photographer, no matter what YouTube tells you, dedicates themselves to an extensive knowledge of ALL thinks photography. Everyone finds what they like and focuses there. Yes we all dabble in more than one area but not to the extent to be an expert. Reading a book, watching a video or learning a thing is great but without the extensive practice behind to truly understand all the little details you can not call yourself an expert.
    Even further I would laugh in the face of anyone that proclaimed to be one.

Stop focusing on a title. Be the best you can be. If you really need a title, Photographer.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. petrochemist

petrochemist TPF junkie!

Photos OK to edit
    To say you are an expert photographer, you need to know a lot more than just the basics.
    I would consider it to imply more than just sufficient competence to make your living doing it, perhaps 1% of professional photographers might be able to justify the claim.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Designer

Designer Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    This question introduces a different concept. Your first question (in the title) asks about "expert". My answer stands.

Your second question asks about the photographs. The best way to differentiate good from exceptional is to start looking at some really good photographs, and compare them with just "good" photographs.

4. Designer

Photos OK to edit
    If you actually believe that, then you should go get a job in a CGG lab making animated videos.

Some people might not be able to see any difference between computer-generated graphics and reality, but I think I can, and I prefer reality.

5. webestang64

webestang64 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Out of the hundreds of so called "professional" photographers I've printed for at the labs I've worked at since 1985 I think maybe 2 or 3 of them are "experts". But expert mostly at one type of photography.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Designer

Photos OK to edit
    The issue is; you still have not learned what makes an excellent photo. Remember my "art" comment, above?

7. Christie Photo

Christie Photo No longer a newbie, moving up!

The "what else" is knowing how to put all these aspects into practice. I tend to break these up a bit differently.

First the technical: Exposure, focus and the like... this all must be learned so that's "second nature." This part is MUCH simpler now with the advances and ease of modern equipment. Once you really have all that down, then you are freed to concentrate on the next part.

Then the art: composition, lighting, posing and so on. This part can be tougher to learn. Doing it over and over and over, one will begin to refine these concerns. Perhaps the hardest part of this is never to compromise. Much like making a painting, it's you who must decide everything in the composition... placement of elements, colors, etc.

Let's go another way. If you would provide an image you made that you feel represents your current efforts, I (and I'm certain MANY others) will offer a critique. Self-critique is tough.

I'm pleased to hear you're thinking about how to grow in your craft.

-Pete

ONE MORE THOUGHT: For this discussion, perhaps it's best to stick with "conventional" wisdom... what's is considered to be excellent in our industry.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. DanOstergren

DanOstergren Move, I'm Gay. Praise Satan. Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit

As soon as you're done making this excellent photo, let us critique it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1