Before and after comparison

Peeb

Semi-automatic Mediocrity Generator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Saw this feller as I was scooting along in a golf cart in Colorado. Composition is poor as it was taken on the fly (cut off his feet!) but it was my best focus capture so I had to try to salvage it. Not a fan of green water.

Too much? Probably- but please tell me. Thanks!

Before:
MJK_0893-small.jpg

And after:
bird small.jpg

Was the first a camera processed jpeg? A little flotsam on the surface would help to show there is a surface there.
I like your edit.

Its a good save. Looks much better.

Obviously it could use more head room and feet and if the bird was looking on camera or doing something, anything, it would be a more compelling photo.

Ive watched and shot herons many times, they are almost common here, and them fers are notorious for just standing there being bow- ring. They are big and regal and this photo shows that off a bit, the foliage helps in that respect.

Now, all that being said, do you really want a picture of a heron gazing into the distance? Yes? Then maybe dont play golf for a bit and take some photos of herons.

What I'm wondering is; just because it is the best capture of your fly by in the golf cart, does that fact alone make the heron picture worth the work of " salvaging" it ( post production that I guess your asking about)? Whats the use of the picture? Is it an exercise in drive bys, like technically speaking, grabbing a good exposure while moving, or is it going on the office wall?

Maybe your posting it on Instagram? Then maybe it needs to be taken " further" then. Cook the heck out of it, why not.

Perhaps its just to remember you saw one. Then it really didnt need any work at all did it.

Too much, you tell me, I probably over thought this one but Im bored so thanks for the photo.

TiredIron has it best though it's not a particularly good shot to start with and frankly, not worth bothering with. The edit over-crunched the feathers - well, just about everything and yes, it is a Great Blue Heron, but I've yet to see one that blue. Some shots are best left in the bin.

I guess I'll be Mr. Popular again this morning, but it's not that every shot I make is overly stunning; they're not. One keeper for every 20 snaps....maybe. I've worked, reworked, played with, beaten up a zillion shots like this as a part of my learning process and while I did post a few losers, for the most part you people never see those. Get out the wet noodles. :)

TiredIron has it best though it's not a particularly good shot to start with and frankly, not worth bothering with. The edit over-crunched the feathers - well, just about everything and yes, it is a Great Blue Heron, but I've yet to see one that blue. Some shots are best left in the bin.

I guess I'll be Mr. Popular again this morning, but it's not that every shot I make is overly stunning; they're not. One keeper for every 20 snaps....maybe. I've worked, reworked, played with, beaten up a zillion shots like this as a part of my learning process and while I did post a few losers, for the most part you people never see those. Get out the wet noodles. :)
No, I agree that this is not a keeper in any sense other than it's the best heron image I have (so far). ;)

Long term goal is to get a better shot but until I'm back in their neck of the woods- this is it.

You might try Sequoyah National Wildlife Refuge. I've shot quite a few Great Blues there while passing through the state.

Not to beat a dead heron, but here is a less cropped and less 'blue' version.
heron small2.jpg

Most reactions

Back