Ben 10 Ultimate Alien Force - Portraits C&C

DGMPhotography

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Took some photos of Ben Tennyson in some of his various alien forms! C&C welcome!

1. Lodestar
$CSC_0275-2.JPG
2. Spider Monkey
$CSC_0280-2.JPG
3. Jet Ray
$CSC_0289-2.JPG
4. Big Chill
$CSC_0294-2.JPG

Thanks!

Personally would have put this in the "Just for fun" forum.

Why would you do that? This wasn't JUST for fun, but also testing my photography skills! Macro focusing, lighting, dof, posing and more were all tested here!

Yeah, I have done that before with a sock monkey... still put it in the just for fun forum. Light and composition test.

Yeah, I have done that before with a sock monkey... still put it in the just for fun forum. Light and composition test.

There's nothing wrong with posting this in the "General Gallery". As the OP stated it was NOT "just for fun", but had a serious intent.

OP: with respect to the images, the one thing that leaps out at me is the overly harsh specular highlights; consider adding more diffusion to your lighting.

b&w is an odd choice for these, surely? Also, think more dramatic lighting. Superdudes or whatever are dramatic, right? Side lighting, light from below, high ratios, and for heaven's, in color! For small objects you don't need much diffusion to create *apparent* softness, because of the small scale.

b&w is an odd choice for these, surely? Also, think more dramatic lighting. Superdudes or whatever are dramatic, right? Side lighting, light from below, high ratios, and for heaven's, in color! For small objects you don't need much diffusion to create *apparent* softness, because of the small scale.

Good point! I'll try again perhaps, with more drama! :)

^This... diffuse that flash! Makes a big difference! Example below!

Iron Man 2 by CGipson Photography, on Flickr

That does look nice... I actually did have a diffuser on, but a softbox may work better, or perhaps more distance.

Not more distance... The larger the modifier, the softer the light / The closer the modifier, the softer the light!

Closer, as in, the modifier is closer to the flash?

If I have two lights, spread wide apart, I get two shadows, right? If I have 10 lights in a row, I get 10 shadows, right? Imagine a single long line-light, then. It makes infinitely many shadows.

A big SQUARE light will make infinitely many shadows in two dimensions. This shows up as softness, the shadows blend.

Back to the two lights. The farther apart the lights, the wider the spread of the two shadows, right?

The bigger my SQUARE light is, the more smeared out the blended shadow.

If I move my SQUARE light closer to the subject, it looks bigger. So, moving the softbox closer: more shadow smear. Moving it away: less. Move it to the moon, and even a really big softbox is just a single tiny speck --> we're back to one sharp shadow.

Make sense?

Most reactions

Back