Bird Portraits - Also help requested to ID a bird species

I would have to say #1 are Nutmeg Mannikin Home Nutmeg Mannikins. Of course after searching for 'Scaly breasted Munia' the education never ends!

Scaly-breasted Munia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thanks for having the guts to share Raj, welcome to the club :)

So, after seeing your comment, I looked up Nutmeg Mannikin and got confused. I was sure they were Munia, but not after looking at images of the Nutmeg Mannikins. Turns out, Nutmeg Mannikin is the "pet trade" name for Scaly-breasted Munia. :D

I would have to say #1 are Nutmeg Mannikin Home Nutmeg Mannikins. Of course after searching for 'Scaly breasted Munia' the education never ends!

Scaly-breasted Munia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thanks for having the guts to share Raj, welcome to the club :)

So, after seeing your comment, I looked up Nutmeg Mannikin and got confused. I was sure they were Munia, but not after looking at images of the Nutmeg Mannikins. Turns out, Nutmeg Mannikin is the "pet trade" name for Scaly-breasted Munia. :D

I know right??? At first I knew I was right, but then I was wrong, but then I was kinda right and then....oh heck.

All I know is I get to tell folks that my birds shot in Socal, came to visit me from India. :thumbup:

I know right??? At first I knew I was right, but then I was wrong, but then I was kinda right and then....oh heck.

All I know is I get to tell folks that my birds shot in Socal, came to visit me from India. :thumbup:

Updated the original pic with both the names.. Thanks, it's a bit strange though that as per wiki they shouldn't be anywhere close to south California. Maybe they went there on a family vacation :D

Updated the original pic with both the names.. Thanks, it's a bit strange though that as per wiki they shouldn't be anywhere close to south California. Maybe they went there on a family vacation :D

They chose well. California is a nice place for a vacation. :D
Typically, when birds are found that far out of their natural range they are birds that have escaped, or been released, from captivity. After a little research on ebird, that seems to be the case here. Some Nutmeg Mannikins were released from captivity back in the very early 2000s and have established small breeding populations in California and Florida.

Nice set, I really like the last one. Don't worry about us, we don't bite

Aa..are you sure? Okay then :p
In all fairness, all of you guys have been very nice, no flaming or mocking of the noobs and probably the best forum to share your work. Sincere thanks to everyone for sharing your work and appreciating others work with the same passion :)

Everyday I learn something new here, thanks a lot Kris :)

And BTW hearty congratulations to you on the Angel of Death, you should really share good news with everyone ;)

Last edited:
They chose well. California is a nice place for a vacation. :D
Typically, when birds are found that far out of their natural range they are birds that have escaped, or been released, from captivity. After a little research on ebird, that seems to be the case here. Some Nutmeg Mannikins were released from captivity back in the very early 2000s and have established small breeding populations in California and Florida.
Now that makes more sense. This is an example of what we call an introduced species. Thanks for sharing the info.

Hmmmm, is onearmeddrunkenmonkey too long for a screen name :pimp:

Fascinating info on those birds, very interesting and yep, you learn something new everyday. Great digging out that info Sharon, really good work.

Angels of death ....... come on, fes up Kris :)

All the best and a great thread Raj.

Danny.

Everyday I learn something new here, thanks a lot Kris :)

And BTW hearty congratulations to you on the Angel of Death, you should really share good news with everyone ;)

Angels of death ....... come on, fes up Kris :)

All the best and a great thread Raj.

Danny.

Oh this one? Audubon Magazine will be publishing it on their facebook page soon with my story behind it. Friday is the one year anniversary, I had no idea it would finish in the top 100 :)
Osprey angel by krisinct- Thanks for 1 Million + views!, on Flickr

Awww I hadn't seen that one. Gees head on and the wing spread and tail is BANG ON !!! Amazing view Kris and no wonder its called "Angel of death". A stunning perspective and I'm glad I'm not a target :)

All the best Chris, as close to perfect as you can get and let me guess, sun at your back ;) Congrats.

Danny.

#1 those are some jazzy looking birds.

Love the nutmegs Raj. Great work with all these shots. We get a very similar looking heron here and call them mangrove herons (Butorides striata​)

nice pic!

Great pics Raj! I always find it interesting to see a lot of the same species all the way on the opposite side of the world.

Thanks guys and yeah they do look similar, and I find it more fascinating that a lot of these birds actually are not only found in different parts of the world, but they actually travel that distance during migration.:)

Most reactions

Back