Broken bat fly ball.

ronlane

What's next?
Reaction score
Website
www.lane-images.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Got a chance to put the 300 to the test tonight. Here's one that I liked. A broken bat fly ball for an out. 300mm f/2.8L IS USM with a 1D mk IV. ISO 1250, f/2.8, 1/1600

More coming from this game later.

Memphis-OKC-0425.jpg

Wow! Great clarity! How many shots in this burst? Baseball is much harder to get the timing down than any other sport IMO. Really can't wait till football season starts now after seeing this!

Wow, timing is everything!

Wow, maybe you could send a copy to whoever was batting, it’s a shot they are not lightly to get otherwise. Maybe they will swap match/game tickets for the photo

Wow! Great clarity! How many shots in this burst? Baseball is much harder to get the timing down than any other sport IMO. Really can't wait till football season starts now after seeing this!

Thank you. Dean, still processing the images but this one looks like just one shot. But most of my at bat shots were bursts of 2 or 3.

Wow, timing is everything!

Thanks

Wow, maybe you could send a copy to whoever was batting, it’s a shot they are not lightly to get otherwise. Maybe they will swap match/game tickets for the photo

The club will get a copy of this one if they want it. I was already in the well for this game thanks to the club.

Great shot.

Thank you.

I love the ever so slight motion that one can see on the bat and the ball leaving the bat! Really a great example of perfect timing!

This is a really portfolio-worthy action shot I think.

With all the technology, in some of the other sports, I wonder why baseball has stayed with wood bats, and not moved to aluminum bats? Is it an attempt to manage the amount of home run hits, that might increase with aluminum bats, given the current field size?

Golf moved from wood to metal "woods" a long time ago. And from fiberglass to steel to titanium and composite club shafts.
Archery has similarly gone "high tech," with bows with pulley wheels, composite bows and arrows, mechanical releases, etc. Not the bow and arrows that I grew up with.

The ball and bat moves so fast that 10fps is not fast enough.
This is like tennis and getting the ball / racket contact on a serve. Doable, but VERY hard, and you have to shoot a LOT to get that shot. It's a numbers game.
Funny thing is, I get a higher keeper rate when I shoot a single frame, and I time the shot, vs. using a 6fps burst, where I "hope" the camera gets the key shot.

In this case, it is breaking the bat, that increases the odd much more that you won't get that shot.

What level football do you shoot?
On the field or from the stands?

With all the technology, in some of the other sports, I wonder why baseball has stayed with wood bats, and not moved to aluminum bats? Is it an attempt to manage the amount of home run hits, that might increase with aluminum bats, given the current field size?

Golf moved from wood to metal "woods" a long time ago. And from fiberglass to steel to titanium and composite club shafts.
Archery has similarly gone "high tech," with bows with pulley wheels, composite bows and arrows, mechanical releases, etc. Not the bow and arrows that I grew up with.

With the size of the players now and how hard those guys swing, the aluminum or composite bats would last about as long as a wooden bat would. Then there is the increase in the number of "tape measure" home runs you would see.

Just my opinion on that.

OK that is your baseball picture for your career.
Switch to another sport.

Thank you @ac12

The ball and bat moves so fast that 10fps is not fast enough.
This is like tennis and getting the ball / racket contact on a serve. Doable, but VERY hard, and you have to shoot a LOT to get that shot. It's a numbers game.
Funny thing is, I get a higher keeper rate when I shoot a single frame, and I time the shot, vs. using a 6fps burst, where I "hope" the camera gets the key shot.

In this case, it is breaking the bat, that increases the odd much more that you won't get that shot.

What level football do you shoot?
On the field or from the stands?

I would agree that at 10 fps, it is difficult for me to get that shot. I find that for me, timing it with 2-4 shots works best. If I burst a bunch, I find that I just miss the key moment a lot more than I do this way. Then there is the fact that I already had like 900 images from the night to process through.

@ac12 not sure if you are asking me what level of football I shoot or was that for @Dean_Gretsch. But anyway, I shoot HS and college football from the field.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back