Buying a Refurbished Camera

Deker

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I currently have an older Nikon film camera and I want to upgrade to digital. While I love my film camera, I'm always spending so much money to fix it (I have already spent 300 dollars to fix my camera and needless to say, its still broken...), buying film and developing it.

I'm on a really tight budget (less than $500) and I've heard lots of great things about the Nikon D40. I've been price shopping around at traditional stores (walmart, target, wolf camera etc.) and the prices range from $450-$550 dollars and while this is affordable for me, I would love to save a little bit more money. I have heard of beginneer photographers buying refurbished cameras for much cheaper and I was wondering if this is a good route to consider or should I just pay full price for a brand new one? Also can you recommend any stores/sites that sell refurbished cameras?

Cameta, Adorama, B&H maybe?

Nothing wrong with refurbs at all, in fact your chances of getting a lemon go down quite a bit in my opinion.

Enjoy!

3 of my cameras are Nikon refurbished. Oldest one is a D50 that is about 4 years old?? I bought all of them from Cameta on ebay. I have also purchased new body and lenses from them.

Just as an example I purchased a refurb D40X from Cameta on ebay for half of what D60's were selling for (close to same camera). I was wanting a small DSLR to take with me while I travel for work. My P&S was starting to show its limitations.

The third refurb I have is a D300. I purchased a new one and decided to get a second. But thought I would save some and get a refurb. After 6 months you can't tell them apart.

I bought my D60 & kit lens from Cameta as a refurb. Zero problems so far.

Thank you everyone for the wonderful advice. I decided to buy a my Nikon D40 from Adorama. It comes with the body, lens, 4G memory card, extra batteries, a carrying case and a two extended warranty all for $475.80. It will come to my house in ten business days and I can't wait. Thank you again for your advice, I'm not sure what I would do without this forum!

Thank you everyone for the wonderful advice. I decided to buy a my Nikon D40 from Adorama. It comes with the body, lens, 4G memory card, extra batteries, a carrying case and a two extended warranty all for $475.80. It will come to my house in ten business days and I can't wait. Thank you again for your advice, I'm not sure what I would do without this forum!

:thumbup: i think you'll really enjoy your purchase.

now to wait that 10 days...:grumpy:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back