If I look closely at his face he almost looks like he's whistling, which doesn't fit well with the emergency or disaster. It's has great light and is well done technically, just off a bit with the concept. There's no panic or rushing or any action with him. He is what is leading us into the picture an his disengaged look and rather relaxed body language leave me confused by the time I get to the background and rest of the story. And the story is good which I half the battle and the rest of the details will come but your on the right track in my opinion.
You will have a very good start when you decide to upgrade to another camera. But don't let your gear stop you from taking great photos now. As Lew said, had that guy been rushing in to help or had some equipment, you'd have a winner regardless of the camera you took it with. Keep up the good work.
-Edit :I now realize you probably have more time and knowledge then I do haha. So I shouldn't really be one giving advice. I thought you've only used an iPhone. Not have been here for thousands of posts haha. That being said ill stand by what I said. You have the technical stuff pretty well grasped from what I can see. Just the conceptual aspect. I think the best thing for you is to just stick with the iPhone. It may force you to think beyond the gear or at least prevent you from worrying about what you "can't do" and starting looking for things you can. It will allow you to use you creative brain rather than worrying about all the technical details.
Sorry again if what I was saying comes off wrong. I wasn't judging you being a beginner based on your photo but on you only having the iPhone. My bad if it did.