C&C Please... "Baby Chef" :D

SabrinaO

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Please C&C the lighting on this adorable little boy... :D
I'm trying to get a nice light with lots of depth. I shoot with a strobe camera right and a fill directly behind me. I see there are no shadows really on the paper... so I guess the depth is not really there?? Is this lighting flat?
I practiced with my son with just one light (camera right) to see how that would look and I didn't like the results. All the time during sessions i wind up changing the light positions and power output at each change of scene. :confused: It seems like ive been trying to get a nice combination of light since forever! I'm just trying to get a universal light setup that i can stick with..

Also... does the baby look red to you? I desaturated the reds up until the reds started turning gray. Is there another method?

5936115694_e19b5ee07f_z.jpg

5936116086_08162b81ff_z.jpg

5935557381_ddab961cc3_z.jpg

5936115894_d85398738b_z.jpg

5936116392_066225ff38_z.jpg

I like them- simple,cute and well done. I would pay for you take photos of my kids like this. (if I had kids haha) I am planning a baby-candy shoot this Friday with a few families BECAUSE it brings in money ; )

I use LR3 to edit and to deal with pink/red babies or maternity bellies I add luminance to the red and that evens out the tones a bit, then I tweak the saturation from there. Sometimes I will tweak the orange too. Other then that I don't know any other ways so I will be interested to see if anyone adds in more useful info.

Good job : )

I like them too. Yes, he does look a bit red, but the previous poster helped there (I wouldn't know). But if I could take baby pics half as good I'd be well off. :)

Great shots! There is a bit of red, but I don't hate it. The even lighting in this situation is not a bad thing, I think it's very flattering! Having a different color seamless would really set this set off, that or blowing out the backdrop so it's white. Good job!

The lighting, focus, and poses are fine. My only niggle is the Toque blends in with the bg a little too much in some of the shots. A slightly darker bg may have worked better.

I think the images have been critiqued fairly thoroughly. With respect to your questions: Your WB is a little warm; EXIF data shows it to be 6000K; I'm assuming your lights were closer to 5600K so that may account for some of it. Depending on what camera you're shooting, I would set WB to 'Auto', shoot RAW and fine-tune in post (Nikons tend to do a very good job of capturing an accurate WB in the 'Auto' setting, not sure of others).

As for a lighting set-up, there really is no universal set-up. You can come up with a couple of different set-ups that will work well for most situations, but that's more like school portraits or Wal-mart. To get the best result for the client, treat every situation as it's own. Look at it, decide what sort of result you want, and light accordingly.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back