Camera for both portrait and landscape photography

Tavakoli

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi all
Im a beginner and wanted to know what is the best camera for both portrait(model) and landscape photography?
I like to take photo both indoor and outdoor and my budget is only about 500 $ to buy a camera.
I prefer Canon or Nikon brands so what do you suggest?
What is the best lens for shooting these subjects? again my budget is limited but I want some reasonable results not low quality photos so please help me to chose the best lens possible but not with a huge price tag!

Thanks
Masoumeh

There is no specific best camera.

For 500 you may look at something like a nikon d5200 with kit lens (kit lens at f8 or f11 should be great for landscape). Add a 50mm f1.8g and you may fulfill a lot of the above criteria.

If you are happy second hand you may do a little better for your money

For 500 you may look at something like a nikon d5200 with kit lens (kit lens at f8 or f11 should be great for landscape). Add a 50mm f1.8g and you may fulfill a lot of the above criteria.

Thank you so much if I want to buy a second hand camera what do you suggest?

Are you in the states or Europe? just asking cos I'll post a few interesting links

Ok, I won't post links as I am not sure of where you would buy.

Suffice to say any modern Nikon or canon would do the trick. I wont start a canon/nikon thing but at the moment Nikon are considered a little better for landscape due the type of sensor they are using.

The entry level nikon at the moment is a nikon d3300, it is an upgrade to the nikon d3200, so the d3200 is maybe still available and might be a little less expensive. The difference between these 2 is small so if you are looking the d3200 may be a good bargain. The kit lens that comes with it is normally an 18-55mm vr, it is quite good. Sometimes you can buy it with an 18-105mm which gives a lot more reach and is in my opinion a good lens to have.

Generally for portraits (outdoor) people like to blur the background to isolate the subject from background. For this I recommend a 50mm f1.8 g lens. It is a nice portrait and low light option that wont break the bank.

If you can I would then also try to buy a speed light, something like a Yongnuo yn 565 or a yongnuo yn 568. This should be a good start.

If you see a seconhand nikon in good condition you could go that option also.

The following have whats considered good modern sensors that have good low light and good colour/dynamic range that may be in your price range (give or take a little)

Nikon- D3200 D3300 D5100 D5200 D5300 D5500 D7000

Personally I would if I could get the d7000 over the others on the list

All camras there are 24mp except the d7000 and the d5100 which are 16mp.

I'm sure someone on the canon side can recommend some canon gear to you also

Ok, I won't post links as I am not sure of where you would buy.

Suffice to say any modern Nikon or canon would do the trick. I wont start a canon/nikon thing but at the moment Nikon are considered a little better for landscape due the type of sensor they are using.

The entry level nikon at the moment is a nikon d3300, it is an upgrade to the nikon d3200, so the d3200 is maybe still available and might be a little less expensive. The difference between these 2 is small so if you are looking the d3200 may be a good bargain. The kit lens that comes with it is normally an 18-55mm vr, it is quite good. Sometimes you can buy it with an 18-105mm which gives a lot more reach and is in my opinion a good lens to have.

Generally for portraits (outdoor) people like to blur the background to isolate the subject from background. For this I recommend a 50mm f1.8 g lens. It is a nice portrait and low light option that wont break the bank.

If you can I would then also try to buy a speed light, something like a Yongnuo yn 565 or a yongnuo yn 568. This should be a good start.

If you see a seconhand nikon in good condition you could go that option also.

The following have whats considered good modern sensors that have good low light and good colour/dynamic range that may be in your price range (give or take a little)

Nikon- D3200 D3300 D5100 D5200 D5300 D5500 D7000

Personally I would if I could get the d7000 over the others on the list

All camras there are 24mp except the d7000 and the d5100 which are 16mp.

I'm sure someone on the canon side can recommend some canon gear to you also

Thank you so much you helped a lot I guess I will search for a modern second hand camera in good condition and spent more on lens instead of camera itself.
Actually Im a digital artist and recently decided to start photography specially portraits in my home studio or outdoor in natural light and landscape photography,I was going to buy a SLR Like camera to start my work with but my friends recommended me to buy a good DLRS and spent more for lens because I want to continue photography not only as hobby.

there is one guy who always post photos of flickr, he either shoots with a D5200 or a D5300, this guys photos look better than allot of peoples who are using some of the better camera bodies. A descent body, a good lenses and knowing how to use the camera correctly will do way more for you than having the best gear available.

any camera you get should do well for most types of shooting, its the lens that you need to worry about for different types of photography....

landscape photography is going to be more dependent on the camera than portraiture. A camera that has a higher dynamic range will be more desirable. For portraiture, lighting and learning how to use it will be more important.

Best cameras for portrait and landscape ?
Nikon D810
Sony A7R II
Canon 5DS
In your price range I agree with "Jaomul" Nikon D5200 with the Nikon 50mm 1.8G

nuh uh...the best camera for Landscape and Portrait is a camera phone.

Best camera for landscape would be a 8x10 large format film camera.

Same for portrait.

Its just not exactly convenient, transportable, or cheap.

Best camera for landscape would be a 8x10 large format film camera.

Same for portrait.

Its just not exactly convenient, transportable, or cheap.
but if you've ever seen an 8x10 transparency... O M F G totally worth it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back