snerd

Anti-Dentite
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
internetwhispers.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
As pointed out in another thread, my sensor in my Canon 7D is filthy. I've spent the better part of an hour trying to clean it, with no luck. It appears to me like some kind of oil spots? I use a rocket hand blower first to remove any dirt and debris. Then I run a soft brush from a cleaning kit over it a few times. This did nothing for the original splotches on the sensor. So I got a drop of isopropyl alcohol on a spot of a microfiber cleaning cloth and rubbed it out....... even this didn't work! Back to a clean cloth over a Q-tip and buffed over it a few times. Nothing. Two shots of the offense below. Any suggestions?

$before.jpg

$after.jpg

Have you tried a proper wet-cleaning kit? Failing that, you may have to send it in for a professional cleaning.

Before you do something that will scratch the filter over your sensor and really cost you some cash to take care of I'd really, REALLY recommend that you follow Tirediron's advice.

Yeah, I think I will send it in for a cleaning. At only 2 months old, I can't understand how it got that dirty?

Just filled out a return service form. Funny.......... there are a couple of beads of sweat on my brow. I think I might feel a tad nauseated. Hmmm....... 2 weeks without a camera. Gulp. I may need a pill by tomorrow!

Have you tried a proper wet-cleaning kit? Failing that, you may have to send it in for a professional cleaning.

As well as using the proper fluid. Some are designed for dust, others for oil.

Help--I can't fix my computer with a Phillips screwdriver! What to do?>>?

Dude...you need some REAL sensor cleaning swabs, and some REAL sensor cleaning fluid!

Isopropyl alcohol will leave a bit of "evap" residue behind, and a microfiber cloth or a Q-tip + whatever is not the same thing as a firm-edged sensor cleaning swab that has been engineered and built for one,specific task...cleaning digital camera sensors.

A sensor swab needs to be firmly pressed and swiped across the sensor's entire width, flipped, and the process repeated, then the swab discarded! If you use the same edge twice...it'll just smear the crud all over the place, once again.

With the right fluid, like Eclipse, and the right swabs, this would already be a done deal.

Again, this scenario is a, "Help--I can't fix my computer with a Phillips screwdriver! What to do?>>?"

Special sensor cleaning swabs are NEEDED!!! These are made in a dust free, clean room environment. A special cleaning solution is needed as well. These can be found at Samy's or any Pro camera store. I use "Ultra PURE Optic cleaning Fluid" Made by American Recorder, Model no. OCF-0.5. The 7D also has auto sensor clean. Do you possibly have a fungus issue? I always clean in a dust free area and away from any sunlight or direct lighting. Exposure to the light may destroy your sensor permanently. Probably a $20 service cleaning instead of a VERY expensive lesson.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
What to use depends on what the problem is. As I said, there's different fluids for dust and oil.

I use VisibleDust stuff and have never had any problems.

Those are good products, but I think the prices are too high. Sensor swabs are priced very high in 2-packs...those are $5 a swab, basically...

Continue searching for better prices. Here, take a look--these are better prices: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/Sensor-Camera-Cleaning/ci/18805/N/4077634546

The swabs shown in kit #2...why are they not individually wrapped???? Swabs must be wrapped, individually...they must be clean-room clean. The Eclipse fluid looks good, and you get the fluid almost free compared to price of offer #1. But yes, those are the kinds of tools you need.

Either is fine. The first is pre-moistened swabs, individually wrapped. They work just fine and I normally keep a couple in my camera bag. The second is basically the same but in a little pouch.

I usually get a box of a dozen swabs and a bottle of Eclipse from B&H or Adorama. A bottle of Eclipse will last forever if all you use it for is sensor cleaning.

Photographic Solutions has a video on their web site Here that shows how to do it. It's simple and should only take a few minutes.

Edit .. The swabs in Derrel's link are the ones that I get as well.

So, if I go the correct cleaning tools route, would these work for me on my 7D?

Amazon.com: Sensor Swab Plus Type 2 w/Eclipse (Pkg of 4): Electronics

Or would the kit be better?

Amazon.com: Digital Survival KIT - Sensor Swab Type 2 (w/Eclipse): Electronics

Questions questions. The first I can get in just 2 days using Prime. Sure beats 2 weeks at the service center!!

I don't know if you've already caused permanent damage to your sensor. You may buy that kit but it may not solve the problem caused from improper cleaning.... but the second kit will suffice. best of luck... Sensors should only be cleaned by a professional. If I was around your area I'd give you a hand.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Speaking of Visible Dust...their products, and specifically their "Arctic Butterfly" brush were given absolutely GLOWING reviews by one of the world's top landscape photo sites, The Luminous Landscape, several years ago. Searching for the article they did might be worth your time...

I personally bought a BUNCH of 'conventional' swabs 5 years ago from a camera store's clearance sale, and have not needed anything new...but the Visible Dust people's "brush" system has been something I haver heard nothing but good things about, and I see B&H has some of their stuff.

Don't worry about having damaged the AA filter that's over the top of the actual sensor--it is very hard and scratch-resistant glass.

Speaking of Visible Dust...their products, and specifically their "Arctic Butterfly" brush were given absolutely GLOWING reviews by one of the world's top landscape photo sites, The Luminous Landscape, several years ago. Searching for the article they did might be worth your time...

Well, that was easy.

Most reactions

Back