Canon 5D Mark III vs rumored Mark IV

Which one?

• Mark III

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Mark IV

Votes: 3 60.0%

• Total voters
The $3,499 seems about right to me for the Mk III with the 24-105. I am seeing most of the body only deals for the Mk III at about $3,099. Occasionally, I will see it dip under $3K.

I've seen them down around $2,200

The $3,499 seems about right to me for the Mk III with the 24-105. I am seeing most of the body only deals for the Mk III at about $3,099. Occasionally, I will see it dip under $3K.

But aren't those the "grey" box ones that don't have US warranty?

Maybe, but $2,500 seems to be the average these days. BH had them for $2800

Maybe, but $2,500 seems to be the average these days. BH had them for $2800

Well I live in Canada, so I think $2800 USD is about $3499 CAD. Do you think the MKIII's price will drop a considerable amount when the MKIV is announced/released?

iso9000 said:
Do you think the MKIII's price will drop a considerable amount when the MKIV is announced/released?

No, I think the price drops will be only AFTER the Mark IV has been shipping for a few months, and the market becomes heavy with trade-in and used 5D Mark III models that make it very much a tough sell on brand-new, from-dealer 5D Mark III remaining inventory. The simple announcement of an evolutionary camera has not been a major price drop influencing factor in the past. If a new model is a radical, major improvement, like say when Nikon went from the D2 to the D3, or something like that, then the older model can appear "outdated" or even "obsolete",and that can put a lot of downward price pressure on the earlier model. But nowadays, the camera sales market is very poor, with negative growth, and the 5D Mark III is a fine, fine machine and is frankly a better camera than most people already own, so...it's not going to drop like a stone. That's my prediction. I do not think there are "a lot" of 5D-III bodies or kits in-stock in North America...I think the dealers have kept inventory of it fairly low because it's a pricey item to buy from Canon, even at wholesale. Look for **a few** big dealers to buy up large blocks of 5D-III bodies and then to sell them quickly, on-line, at good prices, perhaps as B&H is doing, with the sales incentives being the 24-105-L IS USM zoom and the Pixima printer,etc.,etc..

Look no further than case examples like the price of the D800 and the MKII.

But really it's simple economics. New thing comes out, sell off any old things at lower price to make room for new things.

Look no further than case examples like the price of the D800 and the MKII.

But really it's simple economics. New thing comes out, sell off any old things at lower price to make room for new things.

OMG, not that history stuff again. Geez, I thought I was past that when I got out of school.

iso9000 said:
Do you think the MKIII's price will drop a considerable amount when the MKIV is announced/released?

No, I think the price drops will be only AFTER the Mark IV has been shipping for a few months, and the market becomes heavy with trade-in and used 5D Mark III models that make it very much a tough sell on brand-new, from-dealer 5D Mark III remaining inventory. The simple announcement of an evolutionary camera has not been a major price drop influencing factor in the past. If a new model is a radical, major improvement, like say when Nikon went from the D2 to the D3, or something like that, then the older model can appear "outdated" or even "obsolete",and that can put a lot of downward price pressure on the earlier model. But nowadays, the camera sales market is very poor, with negative growth, and the 5D Mark III is a fine, fine machine and is frankly a better camera than most people already own, so...it's not going to drop like a stone. That's my prediction. I do not think there are "a lot" of 5D-III bodies or kits in-stock in North America...I think the dealers have kept inventory of it fairly low because it's a pricey item to buy from Canon, even at wholesale. Look for **a few** big dealers to buy up large blocks of 5D-III bodies and then to sell them quickly, on-line, at good prices, perhaps as B&H is doing, with the sales incentives being the 24-105-L IS USM zoom and the Pixima printer,etc.,etc..

Yeah, I feel like this is how it is going to be as well. So do I take the plunge and buy the MkIII now? I would really like to buy sooner rather than later, but also at the same time, I want to see what the MkIV has to offer. I do not think the new 5ds/r are for me. Those models seem more like a studio camera more than anything, and 50 MP is overkill for me. If only we had the specs for the MkIV now...

That's a tough one, but here is a point. If you buy the mk III now and use it until the mk IV comes out, you should be able to re-coop a lot of your money and use it toward the mk IV, if you feel it will be better for your case.

That would give you a few months of shooting with it and getting use to it. Then depending on the specs, you can decide if the upgrade is right for you.

That's a tough one, but here is a point. If you buy the mk III now and use it until the mk IV comes out, you should be able to re-coop a lot of your money and use it toward the mk IV, if you feel it will be better for your case.

That would give you a few months of shooting with it and getting use to it. Then depending on the specs, you can decide if the upgrade is right for you.

That's actually not a bad idea. But how much do you think I can resell it for? I don't have much experience with selling/buying used camera gear, so I don't even know where the best place to sell them is.

You can also drive yourself crazy thinking about it too much :)

Might already be too late ;) They have an awesome deal going on at B&H, but because I am in Canada, it is so much more expensive. They don't even give rebate for international orders.

You can also drive yourself crazy thinking about it too much :)

Might already be too late ;) They have an awesome deal going on at B&H, but because I am in Canada, it is so much more expensive. They don't even give rebate for international orders.

Send me the cash and I'll buy it for you then ship it.

Boom.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back