Canon 5D Mark III vs rumored Mark IV

Which one?

• Mark III

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Mark IV

Votes: 3 60.0%

• Total voters
The time to buy yourself a new camera is either at the very start of its life cycle, at full price. Or, maybe the right time to buy yourself a new camera is at then end of that camera's product cycle, when the price has bottomed out. No, wait, maybe the right time to buy is AFTER the camera you want has been supplanted by a newer model, and when the market is flooded with clean, used, one-owner specimens. I've actually gone this last route a few times on high-end bodies. But the key is to buy yourself an **actually available** camera body, and not worry about future, rumored models. The choice is to buy a 5D-III, either a new, used, or refurbished one OR to put off the purchase until the 5D-IV is announced.

But, is there actually going to be a 5D-Mark IV? I thought the new 50MP models might be what had been rumored to be the Mark IV?

The time to buy yourself a new camera is either at the very start of its life cycle, at full price. Or, maybe the right time to buy yourself a new camera is at then end of that camera's product cycle, when the price has bottomed out. No, wait, maybe the right time to buy is AFTER the camera you want has been supplanted by a newer model, and when the market is flooded with clean, used, one-owner specimens. I've actually gone this last route a few times on high-end bodies. But the key is to buy yourself an **actually available** camera body, and not worry about future, rumored models. The choice is to buy a 5D-III, either a new, used, or refurbished one OR to put off the purchase until the 5D-IV is announced.

But, is there actually going to be a 5D-Mark IV? I thought the new 50MP models might be what had been rumored to be the Mark IV?

According to Canon, mk4 due in August.

I agree tho, wait until the Mk4 is announced and see mk3 prices dip below $2k.

Obviously I dont know but I cant see the 5DS being the 5D IV
Same AF, slower FPS, lower ISO isnt exactly an upgrade.
It looks like the 5DS is a studio camera made to answer Nikon D810 and stop the floor of Canon users moving to Nikon.

Do you already own the 5D III ?

Comparing real camera to a rumored one is silly, you have no real info and release date.
It can change so many times both the "assumed" released date and rumored info of camera.

No matter how good the Mk IV will be or when it will come out this will not change the fact the 5D III is an excellent camera.
If you have it then use it and forget about the Mk IV till it comes out with confirmed real details of its true capabilities.
If you dont own it then you are in a little bit of a jam and that depends of your character.
I personally cant stand the thought of getting a new camera knowing it should be replaced very soon, if you need a good camera and soon then either get it or get it lightly used thus you save a tons of money.

Me personally I would wait for the Mk IV and I too wouldn't care at all about the rumored 4K capabilities.

I don't have the MkIII, so that is why I am waiting until the MkIV comes out. This way, if I don't feel like the MkIV is a huge change from the MkIII, I can get the III for much cheaper.

Hello, first time poster here. I'm looking at buying the Mark III, but was wondering if there would be a reason to buy the Mark IV (I know the specs are just rumors and whatnot). It seems like the Mark IV's main selling point would be 4K video, but for someone who doesn't care at all for that, would it be better to stick to the Mark III especially when it's price will eventually drop when the newer Mark IV comes out?

When exactly do you want to buy your camera--now or sometime maybe?

I would like to have it ASAP, but I can wait until they announce the specs of the MkIV so I can buy accordingly

It'll be interesting if it's just a 5Diii with a larger sensor, the whatever-pt AF that's in the 5ds, and the digic 6 processor.

Yeah, it will definitely be interesting to see what they can come out with

Personally, I'd rather make several months' worth of great photographs with an excellent camera than waste that time waiting for a slightly more excellent camera which, for all we know, could stay in the rumor mill forever.

I totally agree, but I am just waiting for the price drop that will come when the IV is released (if I decide to get the III over the IV)

According to Canon, mk4 due in August.

I agree tho, wait until the Mk4 is announced and see mk3 prices dip below $2k.

If it comes anywhere close to the $2k range, I will almost for sure get that over the IV (since the IV is speculated to cost around $3.5-4k) and spend more on lenses

Canon has been using the 24-105 L IS USM AND their higher-grade inkjet printers as "sales incentives" ever since the original 5D! When you see the 24-105-L and the printer and the big "instant rebate", you know that the model is near end of life. This is exactly the way Canon has sold the 5D series. For $3100-ish after the $550 instant rebate, a 5D-III and a 24-105-L zoom and a good printer is actually a pretty fair price for what one gets!

The 5D classic, 5D-II, and 5D-III each premiered at right around $3,499, body-only. And from there, Canon offered rebates, then small price drops, then rebates, and then,eventually, as each model approached EOL status (end of life), prices were dropped down to around the $2,000-$2199-ish point for the body, often with some kind of incentives tossed in--such as the older PIXIMA 9000 printer back in the 5D and 5D-II era, and 24-105-L lens as a package deal. So...history is repeating itself, and this is what I meant by buying a camera at the END of its model lifetime--you get a great deal!

The 24-105L IS USM is a lens I owned for a few years--it's a pretty good one-lens carry solution, and it's not awfully heavy, but not super-lightweight either. If you do not own a lot of Canon lenses, this deal is a GREAT start to a Canon system, and the price is very fair.

Canon has been using the 24-105 L IS USM AND their higher-grade inkjet printers as "sales incentives" ever since the original 5D! When you see the 24-105-L and the printer and the big "instant rebate", you know that the model is near end of life. This is exactly the way Canon has sold the 5D series. For $3100-ish after the $550 instant rebate, a 5D-III and a 24-105-L zoom and a good printer is actually a pretty fair price for what one gets!

The 5D classic, 5D-II, and 5D-III each premiered at right around $3,499, body-only. And from there, Canon offered rebates, then small price drops, then rebates, and then,eventually, as each model approached EOL status (end of life), prices were dropped down to around the $2,000-$2199-ish point for the body, often with some kind of incentives tossed in--such as the older PIXIMA 9000 printer back in the 5D and 5D-II era, and 24-105-L lens as a package deal. So...history is repeating itself, and this is what I meant by buying a camera at the END of its model lifetime--you get a great deal!

The 24-105L IS USM is a lens I owned for a few years--it's a pretty good one-lens carry solution, and it's not awfully heavy, but not super-lightweight either. If you do not own a lot of Canon lenses, this deal is a GREAT start to a Canon system, and the price is very fair.

Thank you for such a detailed reply. I however just found out that because I am in Canada, I do not get the $550 rebate. So for custom fees and everything, in total, I pay about $3899 for this package. Is it still a good deal? The camera store near my house has the Mark III and the 24-105mm lens plus accessories such as bag/32gb memory card for $3499. What do you think?

Hmmmm...it's not nearly the same deal at $3,899. I would look or wait around for a better price; the 5D-III at times is sold for significant markdowns, often for 1- or 2-day sales periods. I think buying from Henry's of Vistek or a large Canada-based e-Bay vendor might save you a lot of money over the $3,899 price of buying one and importing it from the US to Canada. Again...when the NEW Mark IV comes out, stocks of older Mark III's will become harder to sell I think.

Hmmmm...it's not nearly the same deal at $3,899. I would look or wait around for a better price; the 5D-III at times is sold for significant markdowns, often for 1- or 2-day sales periods. I think buying from Henry's of Vistek or a large Canada-based e-Bay vendor might save you a lot of money over the $3,899 price of buying one and importing it from the US to Canada. Again...when the NEW Mark IV comes out, stocks of older Mark III's will become harder to sell I think.

So you think I should just wait it out? I spoke with a B&H sales rep online and asked how much he thought the Mark III would go down in price, and he said it was dependent on a number of factors, and sometimes doesn't even go down for a while. 1) What do you think would be a good price to buy the Mark III currently, and 2) how much do you think the Mark III will be when the IV comes out? And also that link I provided, too good to be true?

There is a store near my house that sells the Mark III and the 24-105mm along with 32 gb memory, bag and other accessories for $3499. That's the best I've seen so far

Last edited:
The $3,499 seems about right to me for the Mk III with the 24-105. I am seeing most of the body only deals for the Mk III at about $3,099. Occasionally, I will see it dip under $3K.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back