Cheap Photographers are undercutting the price in our local area.

Talk to people.
The old saying it's not what you know but who.
Being the photographer of the 'elite' of the competitions will potentially open more doors, especially if they travel nationally.
You want YOUR name (not google) to be the one they think of when it comes to dog photos.
One thing I often find people are surprised by is being reliable and punctual, without sounding too old fashioned youngsters just don't seem to really care (I know it's a broad statement and I'm not talking about you or your kids :)). People can be precious about their own time, so respect it and it will be appreciated.

Last edited:
You also need to STUDY the market.
Has it changed enough to warrant exiting.
Or can you find a niche that will still pay enough to make it worth it?

I've been getting emails for consulting, at low-ball rates that would have been considered insulting, in the past.
Highly skilled consulting roles at rates just a little beyond what an average secretary makes.

And it gets worse. The most insulting part is that that rate is "all inclusive."
So if you have to travel to that client, which you likely have to do, the travel cost (air fare, hotel, rental car, meals, etc.) is out of YOUR pocket. So, if you are not careful, you could end up at below minimum wage, or worse, losing money on the gig.

Hello!

I'm posting this on behalf of my wife. She has been a photographer for several years now, specializing in pet photography.

Up until now, she has seen success in maintaining a blog and a Facebook group. There have been a few new photographers pop up over the years so the market is tight.

Cheap Competitors are undercutting the price in our local area.

So that's what I'm stuck. She could be the best photographer in the city skill-wise, but if potential clients can't find her, it means nothing.

What are your suggestions on promoting the photography business as a personal brand based upon the current situation of the over-saturated market?

FB, you say "if they can't find her", how do people find her now? Just through Facebook and the Blog? Does she have an Instagram? They're free and make sure on EVERY post she maxes out the #'s.
I've been in close proximity to 2 dog events. One is a neighbor of mine and the other is at an event I put on. One is an agility dog competition and dog show. The other is a dog race. All categories but mostly whippets. What I've never seen there is a photographer. You might look into some of those.
I've been think of shooting them myself, maybe just for portfolio if nothing else.
What about volunteer time at the local pound?
Has she ever tried underwater? There was that guy that was so famous a few years ago shooting dogs underwater. Can't be to many of those photographers around!
What about pet mugshots? You know, complete with a height gauge and the thing around their necks! LoL
Have made, or make some dog tuxedos or Hawaiian shirts compete with sunglasses and an old SLR camera around their necks?
Shop them onto the cover of time magazine, or GQDog! LoL
Do all the printing yourself and never give them a file just like the good wedding photographers!
Anyway the idea is to do what the others CAN'T!! Good luck!
SS

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back