Couple Beginner Shots....C&C

rell804

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
1. This is a shot i took off a pier with Canon Rebel and 18-55 Lens.....
BlakWhiteHouse800x535.jpg

2. This is a pic of the pier i took first shot off of...same camera
IMG_0121800x533.jpg

I know these arent great, just practice shots.

Holy tilted horizon!!!

Straighten it out and boost the contrast a bit. It would also be a bit better if the boat house wasn't smack dab in the center.

Agree with Miss Cream's comments; additionally work on the basics before getting into things like monochrome conversion. Try searching 'Rule of thirds' and 'Golden mean' for hints on composition.

They're referring to basic compositional rules. The key to a good shot isn't just the subject, rather the composition is equal if not paramount. Your subject matter is good, I understand what you're looking at but overall they lack.

I was going to add Batman to that but someone said it other day... lol

Thanks for all the criticism, it helps me alot, i will look into all the things you all mentioned.

This is more difficult then i thought lol......i read some of those sections and its all chinese to me buhahahaha. Someone care to break it down in a PM??

There is A LOT more to it then you can send in a PM :greenpbl:

Over the last three years what I have been doing is reading the articles and if there was a word or term I didn't understand, I googled it. There really is no fast way to understand everything.

Just wait until you get to the point where you want to learn off camera flash. That was a lot of work to try and learn!

Thanks, im now intimidated lol....JK....ok i will start reading the articles...ok so like the first pic, if it was you, what would you do with the camera?? I know why it looks tilted because look at second pic, i was standing on the slanted part of the Pier when i took it.

Well,

I would move to the left, a lot and probably would have gotten a bit closer. The I would set my camera on my tripod put my ISO at 100, my aperture at about f11, depending on the background (I cant see it). There are a lot of other factors that I don't know because I wasn't there, but thats what I would start at.

Just keep shooting. It does get frustrating when you don't understand things but I promise it gets easier! One thing I used to do was rush, I always felt rushed and I never used to slow down and actually take in what I was doing. When I started really looking at my surroundings I noticed the background and little things in it that I didn't want. So I guess my advise would be just to slow down and try to put what you feel about the scene into the picture. Good luck!!

Most reactions

Back