Couple Casual Shoot in Library - Request Critique

abovenormphotos

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I was recently asked by my friend to take some photos of them at the Library where they first met so that they would have a collection of photos which they can use during their wedding reception. I jumped at the opportunity to do so. Here are some of the pictures taken.

I am extremely interested in the nuances of taking and producing good photos and I truly hope that I can learn from all your critique. I am not a professional photographer and I am not getting paid for this, but I truly love photography and everything related to it. Right from the set-up to the post-production. This is why I wanna do all that I can to get things right. I am a big fan of this forum and I hope you guys can drop by and offer some pointers so that I can improve.

Photos taken with Canon 6D, Tamron 24-70 VC, Off camera flash, Reflector.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts!

Best regards,
Norman.
Singapore

XL and JY Casual Shoot.

#1 -
XL & JY Casual by AboveNorm, on Flickr

#2 -

#3 -

#4 -

I personally really love these images, they definitely give me a playful, romantic feel. I love the last image... very cute. I have nothing more to say... they capture exactly the job brief you describe to me! Well done

I like the last one the best. The mixed light temperatures of the flourescent lights and the flash is kind of unflattering. Granted, it's nearly IMPOSSIBLE to get flourescent lights to look very good in any scenario, but I've found that adding flash just adds to the complications unless you have them gelled correctly. And even then it's kinda "ugh."

That's why I think the last one works best. The black and white really focuses our attention on them, and cuts down on the issues with color temperature. It just feels more classic and is the most professional out of the bunch. It's also clean, contrasty and has a kind of spontaneous playfulness that I think the others lack. Well done.

Just one thing though. It seems like you either add a lot of surface blur/soft focus or you use really aggressive noise reduction. It makes your images look really compressed or just soft. Don't be afraid to leave some of that grain in there. The 6D handles it pretty well. :)

I personally really love these images, they definitely give me a playful, romantic feel. I love the last image... very cute. I have nothing more to say... they capture exactly the job brief you describe to me! Well done

Thank you very much for the positive reinforcement. It means a lot. I'm really glad that the photos are able to convey the sweet romance between the lovely couple.

Thanks again!

I like the last one the best. The mixed light temperatures of the flourescent lights and the flash is kind of unflattering. Granted, it's nearly IMPOSSIBLE to get flourescent lights to look very good in any scenario, but I've found that adding flash just adds to the complications unless you have them gelled correctly. And even then it's kinda "ugh."

That's why I think the last one works best. The black and white really focuses our attention on them, and cuts down on the issues with color temperature. It just feels more classic and is the most professional out of the bunch. It's also clean, contrasty and has a kind of spontaneous playfulness that I think the others lack. Well done.

Just one thing though. It seems like you either add a lot of surface blur/soft focus or you use really aggressive noise reduction. It makes your images look really compressed or just soft. Don't be afraid to leave some of that grain in there. The 6D handles it pretty well. :)

Hi rexbobcat!

You are spot on! I was horrified when the flash made the subject's face bluish while the rest of her was bathed in the indoor yellow lights! It was something that I had not expected. I learnt my lesson and got myself gels in anticipation of future shoots. Hopefully I can get the light temps to match.

Thanks for liking the last Bnw shot. I like it too! I hope to reach the level where I can consistently produce quality images!

I used one of the photoshop methods I watched on a YouTube video that is used to smooth skin. It involves applying a high pass filter, inverting the image and then setting it on overlay blend mode to achieve skin smoothing. I think that the entire image looks soft cos of that. Oh and I keep the clarity slider a tad on the negative side during my initial manipulation in Camera Raw.

Do let me know if there is a better way to go about this. I too wish for the crisp and sharp images that I have seen many examples of. But I'm still unsure of how the sharpening can be used to execute that.

Thanks again for dropping by with the comments. Truly appreciate the tips!

Cheers!

The flash in #1 is harsh on their faces, but Rex already pointed out the difficulties of fluorescent lighting. Not sure what you would be able to do with it at this point. Very cute couple and I agree with others on #4.

Hello everyone!

I was recently asked by my friend to take some photos of them at the Library where they first met so that they would have a collection of photos which they can use during their wedding reception. I jumped at the opportunity to do so. Here are some of the pictures taken.

I am extremely interested in the nuances of taking and producing good photos and I truly hope that I can learn from all your critique. I am not a professional photographer and I am not getting paid for this, but I truly love photography and everything related to it. Right from the set-up to the post-production. This is why I wanna do all that I can to get things right. I am a big fan of this forum and I hope you guys can drop by and offer some pointers so that I can improve.

Photos taken with Canon 6D, Tamron 24-70 VC, Off camera flash, Reflector.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts!

Best regards,
Norman.
Singapore

XL and JY Casual Shoot.

#1 -

#2 -

#3 -

#4 -

Being a really good photographer requires vision--and all of these photos show some outstanding vision...the ability to see creative possibilities.

I have a couple of suggestions about each photo that I feel would enhance it (if you have a chance for a "do-over" with this couple).

1. Don't center the couple. Think rule of thirds. In this case (so the picture doesn't create the impressions that they're doing an uncomfortable squat, I'd crop it so they're higher in the frame. If you can't do that, shoot it so they're higher in the frame and not in the exact center of the photo.

2. He looks GREAT. She looks...meh. Have her turn her face to the camera by 5 degrees and get the lock of hair out of her eyes so her face isn't obscured. I don't have a problem with a model who's face is partially covered by hair but right now, the photo is all him and she's just a prop. I'd also crop it a bit on the left (removing some of the shelving).

3. I think I like this photo the best as is but....while I'm a sucker for DoF, looking at it on my laptop screen, it's the yellow divider on the far right that is the first thing that catches my eye. It's sharp and distinct and isn't washed out by your flash. She looks great. Reshoot it but get the foreground in a little more focus (with the same DoF) so that divider and right bookshelf isn't drawing our attention. Also, consider a scrim or light modifier to reduce the washout of the shelving on the left.

4. Lovely concept and nearly executed well. First, cover up that left knee with her dress. Second, I'd raise the book just an inch....right now just enough of her nose is showing so it looks like she's got the book jammed up against her nose. A bit higher and we'll be drawn to her eyes. Going B&W on this one btw is a great idea and will emphasize her eyes.

Again, you've got a great eye. All of these photos show great possibility and you certainly bring out the joy and comfort posing with this couple.

The PS work in #1 is very poor. #4 is cute, but I don't like all the soft focus added in post.

The PS work in #1 is very poor. #4 is cute, but I don't like all the soft focus added in post.

Thank you very much for the honest response.

Could you advise me on how I can make #1 better?

Strictly strictly personal opinion, I do not like the composition of these photos. They look very awkward, desperate, and out of place.

Also, I'd like to see more solid colors. Like reds, blacks, grays, and less fluffy colors like yellow and green.

The flash in #1 is harsh on their faces, but Rex already pointed out the difficulties of fluorescent lighting. Not sure what you would be able to do with it at this point. Very cute couple and I agree with others on #4.

Thanks for dropping by with the comments EOV. Appreciate it. Yeah. I should have gotten my gels before the shoot itself. Lesson learnt.

Being a really good photographer requires vision--and all of these photos show some outstanding vision...the ability to see creative possibilities.

I have a couple of suggestions about each photo that I feel would enhance it (if you have a chance for a "do-over" with this couple).

1. Don't center the couple. Think rule of thirds. In this case (so the picture doesn't create the impressions that they're doing an uncomfortable squat, I'd crop it so they're higher in the frame. If you can't do that, shoot it so they're higher in the frame and not in the exact center of the photo.

2. He looks GREAT. She looks...meh. Have her turn her face to the camera by 5 degrees and get the lock of hair out of her eyes so her face isn't obscured. I don't have a problem with a model who's face is partially covered by hair but right now, the photo is all him and she's just a prop. I'd also crop it a bit on the left (removing some of the shelving).

3. I think I like this photo the best as is but....while I'm a sucker for DoF, looking at it on my laptop screen, it's the yellow divider on the far right that is the first thing that catches my eye. It's sharp and distinct and isn't washed out by your flash. She looks great. Reshoot it but get the foreground in a little more focus (with the same DoF) so that divider and right bookshelf isn't drawing our attention. Also, consider a scrim or light modifier to reduce the washout of the shelving on the left.

4. Lovely concept and nearly executed well. First, cover up that left knee with her dress. Second, I'd raise the book just an inch....right now just enough of her nose is showing so it looks like she's got the book jammed up against her nose. A bit higher and we'll be drawn to her eyes. Going B&W on this one btw is a great idea and will emphasize her eyes.

Again, you've got a great eye. All of these photos show great possibility and you certainly bring out the joy and comfort posing with this couple.

Hi JoeW.

Totally appreciate the fact that you are taking the time to break down each photo and help me understand the areas for improvement is such a clear manner. I'm really gonna take note. Very pertinent points you have brought up. Especially the fact that the yellow book divider is stealing the attention in #3.

That piece of advice for #1 on how to make them appear as if they aren't squatting, I think is invaluable! Thanks again!

And truly, thanks for the words of encouragement. It means a lot.

Cheers!

Strictly strictly personal opinion, I do not like the composition of these photos. They look very awkward, desperate, and out of place.

Also, I'd like to see more solid colors. Like reds, blacks, grays, and less fluffy colors like yellow and green.

Ah... I see what you mean and where you are coming from. The first pose might seem a little contrived. Shall think on how to make the poses seem more natural.

Thanks for dropping by with the comments!

Could you advise me on how I can make #1 better?

get rid of the obvious masking and blur halos around the subject and the repeating shapes. Plus it's always a good touch to show people's bodies, they are completely missing between the bottom of the shelf and the row of books.

If I had to guess, I'd say you took this photo then pasted them into it?

$bad_ps_job.jpg

Thanks Braineac for pointing out the flaws in the post processing. That was not well executed and quite sloppy. Shall reworks.

Just to clarify, though, I did not cut and paste them. That is a real photo. Single exposure. The only reason it looks like that was cos I was trying to use a ps technique that involves using the high pass filter to softer the skin tones.

But really, thanks for pointing out the areas of concern. Shall do better. Cheers!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back