D60 off camera wireless flash

benlonghair

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm looking at an SB-600 to go with my D60. As I understand it, the SB-600 will work wirelessly with a D90 and up. I have no desire to upgrade my body right now. Well, I have the desire, but not the ability.

So what I'm wondering is if I'm just not seeing a wireless hot-shoe adaptor for my camera. What I'm planning, once I get the flash is to get one of the Nikon Hot Shoe to PC Sync Terminal Adapter and a cord to go with it to start. Wireless would make my life easier, I'm pretty sure.

Is there any way to do it cheaper than a SU-800?

yes. www.flashzebra has a hot shoe adapter for under $20... thats what I use for my SB-600 and Pocket Wizard or modded Cactus V2s wireless setups.

Do a search here, you will find at least 3-4 posts repeating this info complete with pics and links.

Maybe I don't understand your question but you can fire a sb-600 wirelessly with a D60 as far as I know.I can fire a sb-600 wirelessly with a D70s and my D80. You just need to go into your flash settings in the camera and chance your flash from ttl to comander mode,then set the sb-600 to remote and you can fire it wirelessly.You do need to have your built in flash up for this set-up to work though.

Really ?....bummer.I didn't know that.

for short distances, like 1-2 feet, even a ttl cord will do. i used to use it with my d50 and sb600.

for short distances, like 1-2 feet, even a ttl cord will do. i used to use it with my d50 and sb600.

A 4-foot ETTL cord is $25... A wireless trigger/receiver is $35 and is good for 30 feet... which would you prefer? ;)

A 4-foot ETTL cord is $25... A wireless trigger/receiver is $35 and is good for 30 feet... which would you prefer? ;)

I never said it was IDEAL ;) but it did the basic job till $ became available for the upgrade.:headbang:

I'm starting to think the cord is the way to go. I shoot very little posed stuff at this point, so having TTL is more important to me than range and positioning. Basically I want my flash off the plane of the lens, which a wire would allow me to do.

I'm starting to think the cord is the way to go. I shoot very little posed stuff at this point, so having TTL is more important to me than range and positioning. Basically I want my flash off the plane of the lens, which a wire would allow me to do.

I do weddings, which are extremely dynamic, in 100% manual mode and 100% no TTL. TTL is over rated, IMHO and limiting to boot.

TTL has it's place, but once you get over the fear of not using it as a crutch, that is when your photos start looking a LOT better.

You are also limited to the distance of that wire... and if you want proper results, you will need more than 3 feet of distance between the flash and camera. The first time you pull down your flash/lightstand and have it come crashing to the ground... you will likely reconsider going wireless.

If you *Still* cannot live without TTL, there are solutions from Radio Popper :)thumbup:) or the new units from Pocket Wizard :)thumbdown:) that are there for you.

I do weddings, which are extremely dynamic, in 100% manual mode and 100% no TTL. TTL is over rated, IMHO and limiting to boot.

TTL has it's place, but once you get over the fear of not using it as a crutch, that is when your photos start looking a LOT better.

Ya, I just have no clue what I'm doing. Never had a flash that was newer than... 1975 maybe.

Most reactions

Back