D610 rumor and a 'what if'...

TheLost

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So the (rumored) D610 is (rumored) to be announced October 7th.. And its (rumored) to only improve the shutter and bump the speed up to 6 FPS.

The current D600 buffer depth is about 16 NEF 14bit and 27 NEF 12bit.

but what if.... Nikon gives it a bump in buffer.

What if they double it? The buffer on the D600 is close to what the D700 and D300 had before (17 raw) but in a lower cost body. Would you want a D610 if it could do 6FPS for 25+ shots RAW?

For me the AF sensors would be the deal killer.. but its still fun to think about :)

I read somewhere else that there will be nothing really improved except the spots. I actually thought Nikon already adressed this with the d600

I read somewhere else that there will be nothing really improved except the spots. I actually thought Nikon already adressed this with the d600

But the D600 has that "legacy problem" with the spots. Thus renaming it 610 allows them to move forward.

I personally would love to have a camera that has an expandable buffer. even though a SD super high speed 32GB card might cost a several hundred I think that would be a fantastic option.

But the D600 has that "legacy problem" with the spots. Thus renaming it 610 allows them to move forward.

I personally would love to have a camera that has an expandable buffer. even though a SD super high speed 32GB card might cost a several hundred I think that would be a fantastic option.

When you say legacy problem does that mean nikon did indeed address this?

When you say legacy problem does that mean nikon did indeed address this?

They addressed it by fixing your d600 for free, stopping production on the d600 and introducing the d610.

So the (rumored) D610 is (rumored) to be announced October 7th.. And its (rumored) to only improve the shutter and bump the speed up to 6 FPS.

The current D600 buffer depth is about 16 NEF 14bit and 27 NEF 12bit.

but what if.... Nikon gives it a bump in buffer.

What if they double it? The buffer on the D600 is close to what the D700 and D300 had before (17 raw) but in a lower cost body. Would you want a D610 if it could do 6FPS for 25+ shots RAW?

For me the AF sensors would be the deal killer.. but its still fun to think about :)

The buffer specification they have now is about what the D3x had back in 2009 when it came out, so that's an elevation of the entry-level full frame model to the level of the former flagship-level camera's spec. I suppose they could bump the buffer specification upward, if they wanted to and if it would make a reasonable profitability proposition for them. Progress is always nice!For me the "deal killer" as in "the sales inhibitor" is the shutter issues in the D600; taking a shutter originally designed for an APS-C body and slowing its curtain speed so that it can traverse a larger, FF sensor might save Nikon some cash, but from what I have read, Nikon is replacing a lot of D600 shutters when the cameras come in for repair or to be refurbished. Then there is the oil-flinging/lubricant issues the D600 has been plagued with. LOTTA teething problems with this new member of the family. They ought to get a D610 out ASAP.

They addressed it by fixing your d600 for free, stopping production on the d600 and introducing the d610.[/QUOTE]

Fair enough. I asked a question earlier in a different thread about lenses for a d800. I had considered buying a d800, d600 or a completely different Olympus em1. D600 off my list now

Well, the whole ,"Let's build a D600 on a D7100 chassis and share as many parts and buttons as we can," concept was part of what allowed Nikon to include a built-in flash with multi-flash remote commander capabilities,39-point autofocus, 100 percent viewfinder, and a lot of other nice touches for a low price for a FF camera. But as has been discussed all over the web, it seems like taking a shutter that was engineered and built to cover a SMALL, APS-C sized sensor was simply not the right decision for a shutter than had to be slowed down to keep it from falling apart as it traversed a much larger sensor. Just.Not.The.Right.Component.

So, today, Sept. 27,2013, I was at a big "tent sale" at one of the Pacific Northwest's largest pro photo dealers, and one of the sales guys told a customer that the discounted D600's were priced as, "Discontinued items. We are discontinuing those, yes," he affirmed to the customer. So...my guess is that yes, the D600 really is about to be done away with.

So, today, Sept. 27,2013, I was at a big "tent sale" at one of the Pacific Northwest's largest pro photo dealers, and one of the sales guys told a customer that the discounted D600's were priced as, "Discontinued items. We are discontinuing those, yes," he affirmed to the customer. So...my guess is that yes, the D600 really is about to be done away with.

The D600 and D5100 were reportedly dropped from Nikon USA's MAP(minimum advertised price) list almost 2 weeks ago, meaning dealers were free to set discounts as they pleased. Suspect D600 prices this holiday season will make last year's look extortionate. The cruddy sensor issue, gyrating prices, and a flood of refurbs spooked buyers. A "new and improved" model might help but I'm still thinking Thom Hogan is still correct in viewing Nikon as troubled--the D600/D610 shuffle seems to confirm it.

Doesn't spook me. I'd buy a d600 if the prices dropped due to the d610; in fact I can't wait.

Doesn't spook me. I'd buy a d600 if the prices dropped due to the d610; in fact I can't wait.

My point was simply that no one could be sure when/if/how long Nikon would OK discounts or body+lens deals from late 2012 on. Rather than buy, many just sat it out--especially after reports of the dirt/oil problem(widespread or not)got traction. Friends in photo retail here said 8/10 customers interested in a D600 asked about it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back