D7000 with kit or not?

I just purchased the D7000 without the kit. I got a sigma 18-50 lens for everyday and a Nikon 50mm 1:8 for low light. I'm sure the 18-105 is a great lens. I just didn't want to be limited which is why I purchased the body only. As a wedding and glamour photog, I needed the portrait 50 ad low light 50. I'd take your new cam to a mom and pop shop to try out different lenses.

Since you're not sure what you like to shoot, I say go ahead and get the kit lens. I've used it in studio and everyday photography situations and consider it a very nice beginner lens. Then, as you shoot, pay attention to what you use it for the most. For instance, do you find yourself constantly at the end of the focal length trying to take super close-ups or perhaps always doing landscapes at the 18mm range? How often do you use things in the 35-85mm range? Making note of your shooting habits and where you find yourself wanting more will answer your question more than online forums like this.

I've noticed with my 18-55 I'm either shooting landscapes and wishing I could go wider or I zoom all the way to 55mm for portraits and am a little upset that my maximum aperture is f/5.6. I rarely find myself using focal lengths in between those unless I'm doing it for a more desirable crop (which I could always do in post processing). For these reasons, I've narrowed down what lenses I'd like to get next as a 50mm f/1.8 for portraits and walk-around photography and a super wide such as the Tokina 11-16mm or the Nikon 12-24mm. I understand that this leaves a "gap" in my focal lengths, but I rarely use those focal lengths, so what's the point of a lens that does something that I never need? If money weren't an option I would probably get an 11-16, a 17-85, and an 85mm prime, but as they say, money don't grow on trees.

I wasn't a fan of the 18-105. I still had the kit 55-200mm lens and used that one much more and found that to be sharper. If you're looking for a one lens only option in your price range then I would say go with the 18-200 or consider the Tamron 18-270mm for $400.

It is funny how people reply to your thread without even reading it....sucks. Well if you like me and love landscape don't take the kit lens. Go with used Tokina 12-24 f/4 (350) or Nikon 12-24 f/4 (600). I am looking for one right now, but cant really decide. Kit lens is good, but if you have money invest in good and useful glass. I love my d7k, good choice.

Edited. Nothing to see here. Move along.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back