D7200 got wet

LA Hog

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
joedempseyphoto.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
One of my D7200s with a MBD-15 battery holder and a 18-200 II zoom was soaked in a rainstorm after brain-dead me left it in the bed of my pickup. I separated holder, body and lens and let them dry on their own for about two weeks. Amazingly the lens and holder function perfectly. The body does not. When I put a freshly charged battery in it, the display shows the blinking dead battery icon.

My questions are these:

Has anyone had a similar experience?
If so, were you able to get the body working again and if so how?
Is the body worth a trip to a repair shop?

Thanks in advance to those who know more than me,

Joe

I love my D7200 and even though I have newer Nikon bodies I still use it for vacations and family events. You might want to call (Email) Nikon customer service and find out how long it will take, but they probably can't give you an estimate until they see the camera. Do you want all the hassle or you can buy a used one in excellent condition on KEH.com for $665. A new mirrorless Z50 with 2 dit lenses goes for $1200 on Adorama.com. That will get you into the modern era. Good luck.

Thanks Strodav,
This one is not an emergency, I have two other D72 bodies and two D500s but I hate to see this one circle the drain if I can save it. BTW, I agree with you KEH is an excellent source. I have used them for years.
Joe

Have you tried putting a on a body cap and burying it in rice?

Here's your solution to a wet camera, watch this.

No experience with my camera getting wet but lots of electronics experience.

Consider trying to clean the battery contacts in the camera body. A q-tip and some rubbing alcohol is what I would use. If regular q-tips are too short, you can find ones that are made with wood and are much longer.

Relevant? Maybe not. But I've resuscitated drowned phones with an ICU-style process of hair dryers and brief stints in barely warm ovens. Problem with a DSLR is that so much of the damp circuitry likely isn't that accessible directly to warm drying air. Worth a try?

Rice is a non-starter, IMHO.

Relevant? Maybe not. But I've resuscitated drowned phones with an ICU-style process of hair dryers and brief stints in barely warm ovens. Problem with a DSLR is that so much of the damp circuitry likely isn't that accessible directly to warm drying air. Worth a try?

Rice is a non-starter, IMHO.
The reason I wrote "Rice" is because my neighbor, who teaches photography at WVU, got his cameras bodies and lenses very wet at some big project he was on a month ago. He caped everything and buried it in rice for a week or so. It has all come back to life.

The reason I wrote "Rice" is because my neighbor, who teaches photography at WVU, got his cameras bodies and lenses very wet at some big project he was on a month ago. He caped everything and buried it in rice for a week or so. It has all come back to life.
Generally, it doesn't absorb enough moisture fast enough to forestall serious damage. KInd of an urban legend, I'm afraid. Proper dessiccants like silica gel work faster and better.

I’d opt for a warm oven no more than 100f for a day or more. A a slow fan blowing across it with everything open would help

Either way good luck with Camera, I must have been lucky with my old D7200, got that thing soaked a number of times over the years...thankfully it held out. Hope it works out fine for ya

One of my D7200s with a MBD-15 battery holder and a 18-200 II zoom was soaked in a rainstorm after brain-dead me left it in the bed of my pickup. I separated holder, body and lens and let them dry on their own for about two weeks. Amazingly the lens and holder function perfectly. The body does not. When I put a freshly charged battery in it, the display shows the blinking dead battery icon.

My questions are these:

Has anyone had a similar experience?
If so, were you able to get the body working again and if so how?
Is the body worth a trip to a repair shop?

Thanks in advance to those who know more than me,

Joe
B&H and KEH have some good deals on used equipment. Repairing may cost more than replacing. Good luck.

No experience with my camera getting wet but lots of electronics experience.

Consider trying to clean the battery contacts in the camera body. A q-tip and some rubbing alcohol is what I would use. If regular q-tips are too short, you can find ones that are made with wood and are much longer.
I agree. You can drain it dry as the desert but electrical tiny contacts dealing in micro voltages, even solder, can get corroded.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back