Dealing with People

Jeatley

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Ok here is the deal. I have been shooting for almost 10 years and in the last 3 I have been slowly and steadily trying to build a business. My name is getting around and things are looking great. About once every two weeks I get a message like this.

"Hey Jeff, I see you are a photographer and was wondering If you could help me with something? I just bought a Nikon 5100 and when on auto mode outside the flash will not come on however I find that it is needed outside fairly often in certain shades or even with the sun, sometimes my subjects face will come out dark. I've looked through the Manual and played with the camera but I'm not sure what to do. Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated, thanks!!"

They are all asking for help. This is a woman I went to high school with but even then we were not even friends. It is not that I mind them asking and it is a great complement.

I would just love to know how others handle this situation. I have offered to do a class with either 1 person or 3 at the most. I offered it to a couple people and the questions stop. no one is interested in paying for lessons or my knowledge. Not like I know it all but I can teach all the basics. I would love to do it but can't afford to do it for free. What do you think?

As I was typing this I received another msg

"I absolutely love your work !!! Did you go to school for photography? Wow, I wish when I finish school that my work is half as good as yours. I use a Canon Rebel XS with interchangeable lenses. I enrolled at UL in continuing education classes in every class that they have because I just love taking pictures. Could you give me some pointers if you don't mind? I really want to start a business after I'm done with school. Thanks so much.... Oh, by the way, Brandon is my sister's son."

Maybe put something on your site saying due to the large volume of emails your receiving that you felt that the need was there for a class on the basics, and then spell out a class with price and when anyone sends you an email reply with a link to your classes? It doesnt look like these people would be client's so I wouldn't see it as you losing customers. though I could be wrong.

It's a tough call, you don't want to put these people off, word can get around if you're rude to them. If you have the time, maybe a quick answer back, a thank you for compliments, but keep the message brief. I like the class idea that 12sndgood mentioned, if you feel confident in helping out some people, it would be a good way to help generate some future business, or just make a few friends, can never have too many of those. Good luck with it.

It's a tough call, you don't want to put these people off, word can get around if you're rude to them. If you have the time, maybe a quick answer back, a thank you for compliments, but keep the message brief. I like the class idea that 12sndgood mentioned, if you feel confident in helping out some people, it would be a good way to help generate some future business, or just make a few friends, can never have too many of those. Good luck with it.

Excellent comments imagemaker46.

It never hurts to help out. Good will and a favorable impression are very valuable things to build up. Providing an answer, or even providing a link to a web page that deals with the problem, reinforces the impression that YOU ARE THE EXPERT. You help a person out, and you build a positive impression. When somebody says, "You know, I got this new Nikon and couldn't figure out how to ___________, but I e-mailed Jeff and he knew exactly how to fix it," that's a good thing. Like strawberries and asparagus....you plant the crop..and it's not ready for quite a looooong time...but one day it is!

When people message be looking for a quick tip or solution to a problem, I will give it to them, if I have it, or direct them to a site that may have the answer for them. When people approach me and want tips on more in depth things, or with any type of business questions I usually invite them out for coffee. That way I get to know a bit about the up and comers (often they are going to be starting their "business" soon) and I tell them a few tips or tricks, or I lend them a book or two. Most times that gets me free coffee, a new friend, a free assistant for a couple shoot and some good will.

As much as this is a business, in this town I really try to bring the photographers TOGETHER so we can work together and support each other.

I love all the answers... This is how I wish all photographers were. Willing to help. In this town, the so said EXPERTS won't talk to you. I have moved along with almost no local help. When photographers find out that I am a photographer too they shut down. Everything is trade secrets, even to the shoes they wear. There is a long story to that comment.

I am going to offer the basic class again and see if they are interested. I still plan to answer the questions! I have answered all of them before from many others.

My Wife tends to think I answer too much I guess.

One other question. I did have a potential client call me about 5 times over a 6 month period trying to set up a session. It always came down to "I will come by your shop and pay the deposit." Well she never did and always face booked me or called me later to say why she could not make it. Well after 5 attempts to book the session she stopped calling. Christmas last year came and I noticed on Facebook she posted she got a new camera. Then the call came in about 3 weeks later, "Can we go shoot some time and you can teach me to shoot as good as you?" I grit my teeth and offered her the same basic class and she said... OH I thought we could just go play around. WOW THAT ONE BUGGED ME.

What would ya'll have done with that one?
Could I have handled her any better? Different?

If you want to help out which is great, Maybe look at offering up a low cost and then mention that X amount will be given to a local charity. this will give people more initiative to come out to a class. it gets you helping people out and it helps out a charity. The first class I took was this way and it gave me more desire to go just to help out a cause. This gives you a chance to network with those that are trying to learn or come up. It puts you in a place that others in your area are not in. I know myself personally if someone came to me with a job, and it is something I dont feel qualified to do, or are a bit uncomfortable doing I would pass it on to someone I know who had those qualities. Granted other people may not do that but that's just me.

I know a lot of photographers around the world, and some tend to be pretty moody a lot of the time, I'm one on occation, and some days on this forum it's obvious. I try and share as much of my experience with the majority of people that ask. There are few trade secrets, but some photographers like to keep what little knowledge they have as a way of appearing better than they really are. I have little time for people that pretend to understand what it is like working as a photographer, especially the ones that start to lecture. I have run into too many over the years.

As far as the potential client that kept calling and then pulled the "can you teach me how to do your job" I would have said sure, I charge $50/hour when did you want to start. It's an honest offer, and puts the ball back in her court. Either way, she shouldn't be offended.

What business are you in? Shooting or teaching?

I am a shooter and I see no reason to charge less then my hourly shooting rate to teach someone. So, even though I like this response best, I cannot agree with the amount.

As far as the potential client that kept calling and then pulled the "can you teach me how to do your job" I would have said sure, I charge $50/hour when did you want to start. It's an honest offer, and puts the ball back in her court. Either way, she shouldn't be offended.

Honestly, if you are shooting for $50 an hour, you are probably not making any money. Why would you want to teach at the same rate and still make no money...?

I figure what goes round comes round.
When I get an inquiry for info, requested in a proper tone, I hand it our freely, it builds good will and doesn't cost me a thing for a few minutes of my time.
I am sure most of the help I provide is beyond the grasp of the people asking for it and goes in one eye and out the other, but still I offer it.

When I was starting out I asked a lot of people for info, and some gave it freely some never responded. I am very thankful for those that shared.

c.cloudwalker said:

I am a shooter and I see no reason to charge less then my hourly shooting rate to teach someone. So, even though I like this response best, I cannot agree with the amount.

Honestly, if you are shooting for $50 an hour, you are probably not making any money. Why would you want to teach at the same rate and still make no money...?

You could bulk up the sessions to help them with the triangle for a total of $125.00 3 classes one hour each. That should put a damper on the moochers.

I just tossed out a figure, it's not what I would charge, but then how many of your average amateurs would be willing to drop $250 per hour?

Honestly, it would take about 10 minutes most to write up a response as to what's going on. I'd just throw out a general "try doing this" type of response. Doesn't take long, you don't blow them off, and you don't look like an ass either.

Maybe setup a website with a Q&A section of sorts? You could make videos answering questions or something. It could be a very good way to get your name out there more.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back