Digital Photography Diploma, worth it or not?

Axel26

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi there,

anyone from vancouver? I plan on attending Vancouver Institute of Media Art's Digital Photography program and I was wondering if it's worth it? Any one had experience in an institute or something of such? The tuition is about $31,750 and it's for one year; upon graduation, they give you a website, logo, portfolio and a 5 year business plan... Is this program worth the money?

Please let me know your answers, this would be a big help..

Thank you, :meh:

I'm just across the pond in Victoria; as for whether the program is worth it or not, that's something only you can decide, but $32,000 for a meaningless certificate (By "meaningless" I mean it doesn't give you any special privilege unlike say an electrician's ticket, doctor's medical degree, etc) seems like a LOT of money when someone who walks into Best Buy, plops down $500 for a cheap, consumer DSLR can call themselves a photographer as well, more so, since in this day and age all of the information is available on-line.

If you are considering going into professional commercial photography, it might give you a slight edge, but in my experience, people who hire you are generally a LOT more interested in the quality of your portfolio than any letters you can put after your name.

I cannot imagine that a one-year program can be worth $31,000 unless it included lodging and meals for the year. A year is also a pretty short time frame. I dunno...I'd be greatly tempted to spend $12,000 on equipment and put the other $18k toward operating expenses and really work at making it. As Tirediron pointed out, anybody can call himself a professional photographer. I know that in the USA, the Brooks Institute of Photography in Santa Barbara,CA ran afoul of US laws based on the practices and promises they were found to have been involved with WRT to taking money, and promising expected professional income for their graduates.

I'm not really thinking this certificate is worth much. I think 100 pieces of photo paper with amazing images on them would be worth more than the single piece of diploma paper with your name on it.

This really sounds to me like some school is taking advantage of the recent uptick in "I WANNA BE A PHOTOGRAPHER!" people.

$31K seems insane for a 1 year program in most things, and particularly in a career that averages around $30K a year.

I am taking an Essentials Certificate course in photography. I can take portions of the subjects on hand that I prefer to take and even if I calculate my two year certificate course, it will not even reach $32K? That is a very expensive course. Is the diploma made of gold? As I had explained to them, I only want to branch out to other styles of photography like birds, macro, landscape, etc. They offer weddings, sports, food, nature and outdoors, field events, award ceremonies, etc. They also offer contracts, album design, customer service and critiques. I do not know if the extras you mentioned are really that important as it is not really important to me. I just want to be a better photographer for my own satisfaction instead of being told by that one person that my photos are just snap shots (after a decade of perfecting it...)

Does it come with 25k worth of camera gear?

Does everyone get the same 5 year business plan?

No, apparently, you get a business plan catered to your style of photography and where you want to end up..

Does it come with 25k worth of camera gear?

Unfortunately not, that would be a great idea, but they're including a macbook with adobe creative suite that the potential client gets to keep

Hey everyone,

Thank you for your insight about the school, I wanted to know fellow photographers opinions about the tuition.. I am an amateur photographer who studied photography for 2 years, and I thought it would be fun to get a diploma.. knowing the tuition is high, well, it holds me back... I am not necessarily applying to the school, I just wanted to see what options I have as of right now and what would be the best thing to do.

Thank you for your replies.

I'm just across the pond in Victoria; as for whether the program is worth it or not, that's something only you can decide, but $32,000 for a meaningless certificate (By "meaningless" I mean it doesn't give you any special privilege unlike say an electrician's ticket, doctor's medical degree, etc) seems like a LOT of money when someone who walks into Best Buy, plops down $500 for a cheap, consumer DSLR can call themselves a photographer as well, more so, since in this day and age all of the information is available on-line.

If you are considering going into professional commercial photography, it might give you a slight edge, but in my experience, people who hire you are generally a LOT more interested in the quality of your portfolio than any letters you can put after your name.

I agree with what you said, people are becoming so called "Photographers" with a DSLR camera, a friend of mine who started RAW without education started with no education and managed to teach himself and now has a business and networks. Better to just network yourself and have a good portfolio,.

The tuition is about $31,750 and it's for one year; upon graduation, they give you a website, logo, portfolio and a 5 year business plan... Is this program worth the money?

Websites and logos are dirt cheep you could be get both for under $200 easily.

In no way can they give you a portfolio! That is something you have to build. And there is no way a one year program can teach people enough to build a stand out portfolio in one year.

I'm betting the 5 year business plans give you are cookie cutter and you could probably find something almost identical by doing a internet search.

Why don't you ask them for a list of list of five "graduates" and then contact them and ask them how the course was, how good the business plan they give you is and if they still think the course was worth the cost.

Just know that when people hire a photographer they NEVER ask to see your degree they ONLY ask to see the work you have done.

IMHO, it sounds like you would be better off buying yourself $12k of equipment and then donating the other $20k to The Photo Forum. TPF can support you along you journey with every need. Whether it is questions about your equipment, business, or techniques there are plenty of people here that have amazing advice. Plus there is a mentor program. If you are interested talk to John aka tirediron and he can help you get set up with a mentor.

I cannot imagine that a one-year program can be worth $31,000 unless it included lodging and meals for the year. A year is also a pretty short time frame. I dunno...I'd be greatly tempted to spend $12,000 on equipment and put the other $18k toward operating expenses and really work at making it. As Tirediron pointed out, anybody can call himself a professional photographer. I know that in the USA, the Brooks Institute of Photography in Santa Barbara,CA ran afoul of US laws based on the practices and promises they were found to have been involved with WRT to taking money, and promising expected professional income for their graduates.

I'm not really thinking this certificate is worth much. I think 100 pieces of photo paper with amazing images on them would be worth more than the single piece of diploma paper with your name on it.

Don't forget strippers. For $31,000 there should be strippers. :mrgreen:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back