Do Canons Suffer from Nikon's "Error Press Shutter Release Again" Problem?

sonnman

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello,

My Nikon D3300 (well cared for and just over a year old, two weeks past warranty) has started displaying the "error press shutter release button again" message. From googling around it is apparent that this is a very common problem among Nikon cameras, with dozens of youtube videos and message board posts about it. Two common fixes are gently wedging the stuck mirror up and removing the bottom of the camera to lube a gear wheel. Neither of these has worked for me and I have yet to hear back from Nikon, but I know it won't be worth having to send this back for repairs each year in the long run.

So my question is, do Canons suffer from this or a similar problem as well? I love Nikons but will happily switch over to Canon if they are more reliable. Thanks for your time.

I got to tell you I had these Nikons

D7000
D7100
D5100
D60
D750
D3300

Never had this problem you are talking about, actually the only one that gave me issues was the D7000 and that was back focusing, all the other ones were bullet proof reliable.

I haven't heard whether one system is definitively more reliable than the other. They likely both have their quirks. Personally I would have a very hard time switching to another brand because of my investment in glass. I tried Sony for a quick second which I really liked and believe it has a lot of merit. However, their glass was more expensive and felt they lacked system support with not much weight savings IMO. Anyway, you may also want to consider a refurbished d7100 for about $500. It would be a huge upgrade to a prosumer camera and would allow you to use "cheap" old glass. The two that I have owned have been trouble free and I don't baby them.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

get it fixed under warranty and move along with life. that's what warranties are for.

Hello,

My Nikon D3300 (well cared for and just over a year old, two weeks past warranty) has started displaying the "error press shutter release button again" message. From googling around it is apparent that this is a very common problem among Nikon cameras, with dozens of youtube videos and message board posts about it. Two common fixes are gently wedging the stuck mirror up and removing the bottom of the camera to lube a gear wheel. Neither of these has worked for me and I have yet to hear back from Nikon, but I know it won't be worth having to send this back for repairs each year in the long run.

So my question is, do Canons suffer from this or a similar problem as well? I love Nikons but will happily switch over to Canon if they are more reliable. Thanks for your time.

Having owned quite a few Nikon cameras, I have never once seen this error message on any of them. In fact I've never had any problems with any of my Nikons.

As to reliability, I'd say Canon and Nikon are probably pretty similar in that department. Occasionally one model or another produced by either will have an issue that affects a certain percentage of those cameras, but for the most part both produce a pretty reliable product.

My advice, don't fall for the internet hype from either side. If reliability is a big selling point for you, you might want to look into a more professional grade camera in the Nikon system. The ones that are designed for pros can take a tremendous amount of abuse and still continue to function.

oh i missed that part. id still call nikon and see if they'd honor it.

Never heard of that type of problem with Canon but it doesn't mean it can't happen.
From the above posts I would conclude it's not as rampant as you would think.
Remember most people never post in a forum unless they are trying to solve an issue. Look at car forums. 20% of all new members are looking for repair or diagnostic advice. Doesn't mean 20% of cars are broken from the factory. It just means people ***** more than they compliment.

Get it fixed and see how far it runs. You may have a great camera that just needs a tweek.

Never heard of this problem myself with any camera of any brand.
Odd thing.

No, Canons will not suffer from Nikon errors; they will have their own.

That's really strange, I never had any issues with Nikon cameras. But had numerous problems with Sony cameras in the past.

The only time I ever got that message press shutter again or something like that on the D3300 is when I tried the panorama mode, apparently I went to fast for the camera to record it. I guess I was still in pan the bird mode.

Most reactions

Back