Do they sell any cheap/affordable 600mm lenses.

Define affordable?

I don't know if thats possible, my neighbor spent 1200 dollars on a sigma 150-600mm.
And he said that was a good price.

You might be able to find a used Tamron 150-600 for like $750-800?

Are you willing to go MANUAL focus?
If so you can get simple refractor teles or a mirror tele.
I use a Nikon 500/8 mirror.
But if you go mirror, you NEED to do your research, to get a GOOD brand and model.

There have been a few 600 mm F8 mirror lenses made, but the 500 mm F/8 mirror lens is much more common. In manual focus lenses in the "all-glass" style, there have been many 500 mm f/8 preset-diaphragm long focus lenses made over the past 40 years. These are typically not really very good lenses, but they cost around $125 when brand new.
The only mirror lens that I know of that uses auto focus is a Minolta/ sony. Nikon has made some pretty good 500 mm F8 mirror lenses which could be easily adapted to a Canon in DSLR camera. I own one an early example made in the 1972 to 74 era. The biggest problem with mirror lenses is getting accurate focus, which can be a very difficult thing especially if the subject is moving at all.
If you need a 600 mm lens, and Auto- focusing, I think the best course of action would really be to pony up to $750-$1000 and buy a used 150 to 600 mm all glass zoom lens.

Last edited:
As has been stated above, there are affordable 500-600mm lenses.

Pro's
Best reach per $ of any lens you'll see.
Lightest weight super telephoto lenses.
Mirrored lenses provide Bokeh donuts, which can look pretty cool.
Mirrored lenses are about 1/3 the length of non mirrored.

Con's
Build quality is usually pretty low.
Lens clarity and Image Quality are also pretty low.
Most are manual focus which makes bird in flight shots near impossible without A LOT of practice.
The short length of a mirrored lens makes it very hard to hand hold and keep steady.
The lack of weight also make it harder to hold steady, (no inertia to aid with minimizing hand shake).

Below are two typical styles of inexpensive 500mm lenses that each sell for less than $200 CAD.
If you just want to get tripod images of relatively still birds then they can provide decent images. They won't be better quality of image than your current lens but you may not have to crop quite as much.
If you want to get sharp images of birds in flight then I would suggest saving for a while and getting a Tamron 150-600 G2.

Mirrored 500mm

Non mirrored 500mm

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I have a fairly cheap (£50) 600mm f/8 mirror lens and it seems to give quite reasonable results. Handholding is out of the question on MFT, but it becomes usable with a focal reducer (ending up as a 900mm equivalent FOV).

The big advantage of mirror lenses is that they weigh so much less than their refractive cousins. I'll sometimes carry a mirror lens when out for a walk but the 150-500 I have only comes out when I KNOW long focal lengths will be needed a lot.

As has been stated above, there are affordable 500-600mm lenses.

Pro's
Best reach per $ of any lens you'll see.
Lightest weight super telephoto lenses.
Mirrored lenses provide Bokeh donuts, which can look pretty cool.
Mirrored lenses are about 1/3 the length of non mirrored.

Con's
Build quality is usually pretty low.
Lens clarity and Image Quality are also pretty low.
Most are manual focus which makes bird in flight shots near impossible without A LOT of practice.
The short length of a mirrored lens makes it very hard to hand hold and keep steady.
The lack of weight also make it harder to hold steady, (no inertia to aid with minimizing hand shake).

Below are two typical styles of inexpensive 500mm lenses that each sell for less than $200 CAD.
If you just want to get tripod images of relatively still birds then they can provide decent images. They won't be better quality of image than your current lens but you may not have to crop quite as much.
If you want to get sharp images of birds in flight then I would suggest saving for a while and getting a Tamron 150-600 G2.

Mirrored 500mm

Non mirrored 500mm

Ok thanks That is actually the lens I wanted was a Tamron 150-600mm.
There just so expensive in my opinion. I will do a little research on the lenses you gave a link for and see.

Thanks

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Oh i just thought of something, does it matter what camera i pair the tamron lens with. I just have a rebel xs.
Also the same with the other more affordable lenses.

Thanks.

..........Ok thanks That is actually the lens I wanted was a Tamron 150-600mm.
There just so expensive in my opinion............

These days, the Tamzooka IS an 'affordable' 600mm.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back