Doing a charity photo shoot tomorrow - anyone ever done that

Bokeh

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.tracymilburn.com
I'm doing a charity photo session tomorrow for my wife's pta program; photos with santa (we're paying for santa too). They do this every year and people take turns, but it got me thinking of doing other charity photo shoots in other areas, since ours is fairly middle class. There's still time before Christmas to prepare for something like that. I figure it might give kids a chance to have a picture or two with santa who wouldn't otherwise be able to afford to.

Has anyone else done anything like this? If so could you share your experiences? Did the Santa charge you? Did you do it in a store? Most malls already have one and they charge of course. Share other experiences not necessarily for Christmas as well.

Thanks

Why dont you get a friend to dress up as santa? then all you have to pay for is the suit!

Edit: If your taking pictures of kids, you may also need their parents to fill out model release forms!

Artemis said:
Why dont you get a friend to dress up as santa? then all you have to pay for is the suit!

that was my first question; she said it was about the same price to rent a Santa suit. with more time I could probably find one cheap somewhere, but the shoot is tomorrow, she gave me like zero notice on this. Originally the plan was to shoot with polaroid! :roll:

Artemis said:
If your taking pictures of kids, you may also need their parents to fill out model release forms

Hmm... They've never done that before... should I do that? i don't plan on making money off this, just planning on advertising. Thoughts?

I've done charity shoots for organizations, but usually the folks asking me to do the photography take care of everything else.

For instance I'm photographing foster kids with Santa in a few weeks, but I'm just donating the photography (time, film, and processing). The organization is handling Santa, location, and even buying the prints they want at lab costs (I'm not making any money, but it's not costing me more either).

I've also donated portraits for a home for mentally disabled adults. I donated the photography and 1 8x10 portrait for each person.

I think that model releases would be a must for using the photos for advertising purposes. Since it would even be a bigger pain in the butt to track down the proper guardians in the situations I've described, I haven't ever tried to use the photos I took for any other purposes. On the other hand I've always been thanked in a newpaper ad which included my phone and website, organization newsletters, etc... so I have gotten some free advertising out of it.

Most often I'm approached to donate a print or gift certificate to a charity auction. For gift certificates I donate the portrait session, but the winning bidder would still have to buy the prints.

ksmattfish said:
I think that model releases would be a must for using the photos for advertising purposes. .

I guess I misspoke; I meant I will be advertising by giving parents flyers and "spreading the word" about my services. I won't be using their pictures for advertising, however I might use a few in my portfolio; would I have to get a release for that? Thanks

I always get a release if I plan to put it in my portfolio or on my website. Better safe than sorry.

We have donated quite a few packages for charity, cancer research, united way, etc. Like ksmattfish said, it usually works out into free publicity in the end, and it's a great way to help others.

If you don't plan to use the images...I don't see a need for a release form.

What's your plan for giving out prints? Are you going to print them on the spot or are you going take names and give them out later? just curious

Big Mike said:
If you don't plan to use the images...I don't see a need for a release form.

What's your plan for giving out prints? Are you going to print them on the spot or are you going take names and give them out later? just curious

Mike, good question, we talked about it and I told her we could use the file # of the 300d to tie to the person we're taking the picture of to their name and address, and get them printed at a lab and then either have them pick up the photo or take it to them since most people come to the meetings. Heck, the cost of a stamp would be almost as much as getting the photos printed! Stamps have gotten so expensive.

The release isnt only about using the images, its also to allow you to take the images, and in case of children I think it may be best, otherwise you could be in alot of trouble.

There was another forum posted on where to find them, and If I do see it ill show you, as for organisation, when I did my charity work, that was all sorted, and that how I think it should be, your the photographer, your meant to be hidden, not there, not getting involved :)

Good luck though mate, anything else we can help yah with?

Artemis said:
The release isnt only about using the images, its also to allow you to take the images, and in case of children I think it may be best, otherwise you could be in alot of trouble.

:shock:

Well, I figured since THEY were coming to get the photos taken it was a non-issue....

Artemis said:
Good luck though mate, anything else we can help yah with?

Where can i find an example of a release form? Thanks, I'll have them sign one.

Ryan Gracie said:
Artemis said:

:shock:

Well, I figured since THEY were coming to get the photos taken it was a non-issue....

A model release doesn't give you permission to take someone's pic, just to use the pic in certain ways (usually involving making money).

You need to check your local laws, but where I live I can take anyones' pic if they are in public without their permission. On private property I am allowed to take anyones' pic as long as I have the permission of the property owner/manager. It may be impolite to take their pic without their permission, but it's not illegal. Now there isn't a lot I can do with those pics, unless I have the subjects' permission, but I can still take them.

Most reactions

Back