Downside to VR?

photo12345

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Just wonder if there is any downside to having VR on. If using a sterdy tripod does it make a difference to have it on or off.

Thanks for your input.

Always turn off on tripod, and most recommend turn it off when using shutter speeds where vr is not required

If it's on a tripod I always turn it off. I can't say for sure if it negatively affects things to leave it on, but since you obviously don't need it I figure it's best to just turn it off and not chance it.

Check the lens user manual.
Most lenses that have VR need to have the VR turned off when using a tripod.
If it's not turned off VR tries to do it's VR thing, 'hunts' and makes your photos blurry.

The downside to VR is though you paid to have it in the lens, most of the time it needs to be turned off.
Nikon VR explained

Turn on VR only when you need it.

It's not a set-and-forget feature.

To answer: Yes, at least from my understanding, VR can cause "shake" when the camera is rigidly fixed, ie; tripod, sitting on a rock, etc

Thank you all for the info!

Just wonder if there is any downside to having VR on. If using a sterdy tripod does it make a difference to have it on or off.

Thanks for your input.
I've forgotten that i had VR on when it was on a tripod and even at shutter speeds of up to 1/2000 on my nifty-fifty, i haven't noticed any downsides when i later zoom in to pixel peep. But the two examples i just gave you will be times where traditionally people will tell you to turn VR off. Just shoot and don't worry so much about the details.

Will VR make a difference on a tripod using a long exposure of moving subjects such as waterfalls, rivers, or light trails?

Once again, the link KmH has posted here for the umpteenth time is still probably the best single resource on-line:

Nikon VR explained

Put it this way: I ruined a lot of images with the original 70-200 VR lens by leaving VR on one summer...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back