DSLR Backpack recommendations

div1113

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello guys!

I'm going for a long holiday (7 months) in around South East Asia. I'm looking for a DSLR backpack that does not only fits my gear, but also my clothing and other stuffs that an average traveler needs on daily basis (first aids, toiletries, etc.). Basically I'm looking for a single bag that acts both as a rucksack and a dslr camera bag.

I don't have much camera gear (only Nikon D7100, Sigma 17-50, Nikon 50mm, a flash and batteries/charger). Most of the bags I could find have almost 80% of space allotted to store camera gears. I could find couple of big bags, but they are just designed to store more gear and larger lenses, rather than being designed to store more essentials.

Basically, I don't want to carry two separate bags (one for camera and one for clothing, etc) on my travel for easy management and flexibility. If anyone can recommend any such bag, it would be a great help.

I personally like the the Mindshit gear 180 rotation bag. The pro bag to be specific. It has a nice sized pouch built in the waist belt that you can swing around to your front with out taking the pack off to get to a body and a couple lenses along with a few accessories. That's one of the nices features to be sure. The larger compartment for other gear that takes up most of the rest of the pack can be removed freeing up a ton of open space for clothing toiletries etc. It is also equipped to take a water bladder and has other accessories you can purchase if you need even more storage compartments.

The other thing I really like is it has tons of straps to tie down thing on the exterior of the pack as well. It's definitely one of the priceset packs out there but in my option worth every penny. It replaced my 3 other packs and is very comfortable and well designed.

I've been using this pack for a little more than a year for overnight trips in the mountains as well as more casual uses around town and traveling. Let me know if you have any questions.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
What the Corgi said.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
What the Corgi said.

Papillon
Sorry, never had seen a Papillon in person but I have seen Corgi's. And it does look very Corgi like.

Here in the sticks we don't have to many of them there high faluten dogs. Mostly mutts just like their owners. I am curious though, why did they name a dog breed after Henri Charrière?

Hello guys!

I'm going for a long holiday (7 months) in around South East Asia. I'm looking for a DSLR backpack that does not only fits my gear, but also my clothing and other stuffs that an average traveler needs on daily basis (first aids, toiletries, etc.). Basically I'm looking for a single bag that acts both as a rucksack and a dslr camera bag.

I don't have much camera gear (only Nikon D7100, Sigma 17-50, Nikon 50mm, a flash and batteries/charger). Most of the bags I could find have almost 80% of space allotted to store camera gears. I could find couple of big bags, but they are just designed to store more gear and larger lenses, rather than being designed to store more essentials.

Basically, I don't want to carry two separate bags (one for camera and one for clothing, etc) on my travel for easy management and flexibility. If anyone can recommend any such bag, it would be a great help.

A laptop as well? Or notebook? With your camera gear, I think you should just get a regular backpack and get a small camera bag to carry inside your backpack. Also if your in a spot where you can safely leave your big backpack. You can just grab that small camera bag.

Last edited:
I personally like the the Mindshit gear 180 rotation bag.

Wait,wait,wait...what is the brand of this bag you like? "Mindshit gear" sounds like a typo to me...

I personally like the the Mindshit gear 180 rotation bag.

Wait,wait,wait...what is the brand of this bag you like? "Mindshit gear" sounds like a typo to me...

Bwahahaha! Omg yeah slight typo. Lol is mindshit the more severe version of a brain fart? I meant mindshift.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Checkout a Pro Trekker 450 or 650, it depends on how much you want to trek around with.

I just bought myself an Osprey Nebula daypack along with this insert: Amazon.com : Camaroo DSLR Camera Insert - Compact : Camera Cases : Camera & Photo. I probably should've bought a slightly bigger insert because my gear doesn't fit quite as nicely as I would like it to but it was enough to make it work. My gear consists of a D7000, Nikon 18-105, Nikon 70-300, and Tokina 11-16. I own a Nikon SB-600 but it stayed at home since I was outdoors the whole time.

If you're going to be wearing the bag a lot, I'd recommend one with chest and hip straps. They help with reducing the load specifically on your shoulders and spreading it out so the pack feels more comfortable. Some packs have padding on the hip straps that also have very small compartments on them. Do some research on frameless/internal frame/external frame. There are pro's and con's of each. If you're going to be toting around camera gear, you probably want to avoid any top loading packs, unless you plan on keeping the camera gear right at the top for easier access.

I just took my pack out for the first time when I went to Acadia National Park in Maine. I hiked with it for a couple of hours at a time and it was great. The only thing I could complain about was the fact that my back was completely drenched in sweat because it was close to 80 degrees and the pack sits flush against my back.

There are A LOT of options out there so take your time and do research. Just my $0.02. Good luck.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Get a big osprey pack and a smaller camera insert. Your back will thank you and you'll have plenty of room for your non-photo gear

Most reactions

New Topics

Back