Duluth, MN would love some CC

Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Here are some pictures taken at some of the "tourist" area's. Hope yal like :)

1) The airale lift bridge

121 by Rebecca Andresen Photography, on Flickr
1/1000, f5.6, iso 100
**I should have closed my aperture much more I think. I had gone from taking some shots of my parents and son in front of this trying to get the bokeh effect of the bridge behind and never changed my settings. There was def NO reason for my shutter speed to be that fast either. Was set that way for the 2 yr old. Grrrr lol!

2) Our lake is big enough for ocean liners to haul supplies thru the great lakes.

148 by Rebecca Andresen Photography, on Flickr
1/1000, f5.6, iso 100
**Same issues with other photo. EXCEPT I hate the green on the side. I had taken this pretty high up on the hill. (Duluth is one massive hill) and the green is a darn bush in my way. I'm not the best at cloning and with all that comosition in that area I dont think I would've done a good job. Tighten my crop? Also what the hell did I do taking the photo to get the boat (lack of words) blurred. Its like a spot on it.

3)The High Bridge. There are 2 bridges that bring you from WI to MN. This is the highbridge.

149 by Rebecca Andresen Photography, on Flickr
1/1000, f5,6m iso 100
**Same things as the last photos.

**I had applied the slight vignette on these to bring out the blues more. When I got rid of it they just looked rather blah.

So one of the things that I would like to work on and tried to do so in my cropping is....Rules of Thirds and Composition.

Thanks for the CC always welcomed :)

I think you went too far with the blue.

I think I can see the house we rented for a week a couple years ago in the first photo :D Sortve a shame that the top of the bridge just breaks the shoreline in the last.. would maybe make an interesting B&W.

As for the second photo and the spot over the boat, you could maybe get away with simply just running a brush of a lower exposure, perhaps with some contrast over the area. If you have lightroom / ACR.

They don't seem all that sharp... I've driven over those bridges and in that area many times, I think we both know the pictures don't do it justice. I'm not saying mine would be better, but it just doesn't capture the beauty I think is in that area. Maybe there is a trick to it, I haven't had much luck in day time landscape shots myself. Always too much haze, maybe a filter can help with that.

Yea I def agree with you these don't do them justice. I was wondering if a filter would help too. I've seen some PHENOMINAL photos from other photographers out this way. The haze can be pretty bad around here. Honestly I dont have much luck in landscape shots in the first place. These were kind of a first try I've never had any good shots come out of these kind of things. This was purely dragging my parents around who were up from CT and me trying to capture some shots and see where I could go with them. I much rather photograph animals, familes, kids and especially horses :)

What lens are you using for these, and is F5.6 your maximum aperture?

Most lenses are not that great when used wide open (max aperture). By stopping down to F8 or even F11, you might be able to get sharper results. You're shutter speed was pretty fast, so it shouldn't be a problem to sacrifice that for a smaller aperture.

As for the haze, that will happen when you're shooting through that much air...especially around a city.

If you don't have one already, a polarizing filter is definitely one that I would recommend for landscape shots.

What lens are you using for these, and is 5.6 your maximum aperture?

Most lenses are not that great when used wide open (max aperture). By stopping down to F8 or even F11, you might be able to get sharper results. You're shutter speed was pretty fast, so it shouldn't be a problem to sacrifice that for a smaller aperture.

As for the haze, that will happen when you're shooting through that much air...especially around a city.

If you don't have one already, a polarizing filter is definitely one that I would recommend for landscape shots.

I was shooting with my 55-200. My max app is I think 4. something.... So I def could have closed it more and sacraficed my shutter speed. I should have set these up better exposure wise bc I def think they could have come out crisper. I was thinking that as I was typing my info. I wish I stepped down to 11 or so I think that would've made a great difference. I'll have to go back to these places. I do drive past the scenic road that I took these on pretty much everyday! Especially with the snow I bet I could get some better photos :) No I dont have a polarized filter I'm thinking that would def help. I want to start building stock in filters for my lens.

Last edited:
I have a Nikon brand polarizer filter sitting around thats 52mm I'll sell you for peanuts, I've sold my 55-200 and that filter helped me tremendously with haze.

I was shooting with my 55-200. My max app is I think 4.
I'll bet that the maximum aperture of that lens is F4 to F5.6. That means that at 55mm, the max aperture is F4, but when you zoom out, the max aperture changes to F5.6.

And I would certainly think that this is one of the lower end lenses that doesn't have great image quality when wide open. So stopping down to F8 or F11, would almost certainly improve some aspects of the image quality.

2wheel that sounds great!! I do have a canon but that won't be a prob will it?
Filters just screw into the thread on the front of the lens. As long as it's the correct size, it will work. Brand does not matter.

Nice photos. I have been to Duluth a number of times and always liked that city. Nice thing about it is that it isn't that far from Superior and is connected close that way instead of having to go a farther route to see such a beautiful scene.

Nice photos. I have been to Duluth a number of times and always liked that city. Nice thing about it is that it isn't that far from Superior and is connected close that way instead of having to go a farther route to see such a beautiful scene.

It is a neat looking city. Lots to photograph if you have the time lol! I LOVE how it connects to Superior. I live out in the country past Superior and work at the top of the hill at the airport. So I literally just have to take the main road from my house all the way up to the airport! If it wasn't for those bridges I wouldn't be working in Duluth. The one down fall is 1) the wind can get bad enough to move tractor trailers on the bridge and 2) The ice....those bridges get pretty damn nasty in the winter. But I do love the area its beautiful out here compared to the suburbs of hartford, ct which is where im originally from.

The ice has arrived! I bet I could get some killer photos or at least try of Duluth harbor with the ice and snow :) next project :)

I was shooting with my 55-200. My max app is I think 4.
I'll bet that the maximum aperture of that lens is F4 to F5.6. That means that at 55mm, the max aperture is F4, but when you zoom out, the max aperture changes to F5.6.

And I would certainly think that this is one of the lower end lenses that doesn't have great image quality when wide open. So stopping down to F8 or F11, would almost certainly improve some aspects of the image quality.

2wheel that sounds great!! I do have a canon but that won't be a prob will it?
Filters just screw into the thread on the front of the lens. As long as it's the correct size, it will work. Brand does not matter.

Oh you are 100% correct it is def just a cheap kit lens. I'm saving up for something nicer. Since I got ya here lol what would you reccomened around $400-500 same zoom compacity.

I thought filters worked with many different brands just wanted to double check!

Thanks for all the feedback you give me! Its always greatly appreciated and applied :)

Oh you are 100% correct it is def just a cheap kit lens. I'm saving up for something nicer. Since I got ya here lol what would you reccomened around $400-500 same zoom compacity.
The Canon 70-200mm F4 L, is an amazing lens. It's above your budget but not by much (currently on sale for $599). You would have a hard time trying to find another lens this good, for that price.

Now, the max aperture is only F4, but it's F4 at 70mm and at 200mm. But more than that, it's a top of the line 'L' lens, and one of the better ones at that.

There are actually 4 versions of 70-200mm lenses in the Canon line up. The F4 as mentioned above, the F4 with IS, the F2.8 and the F2.8 with IS. Of course, having a larger maximum aperture of F2.8 would be an advantage, but those one are bigger, heavier and much more expensive.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back