Filters for new lens?

wilsoncs3980

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm a newbie and I just bought a Nikon D7000 with 2 lenses.

1) Nikon AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II Zoom Lens (72mm Filter Thread)
2) Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Autofocus Lens (58mm Filter Thread)

What filters should I buy to protect my lenses?

I've noticed some filters are kind of cheap and some are pretty expensive. Is there that much of a difference? Any recommendations for the most bang for the buck?
Thanks for the help.

i protect with zero filters, although I do pop a polarization filter and such on once in a while

Get UV filters for protection...but don't get a cheap one. Hoya or Kenko are good. For 72mm you will pay about $39 and for 52mm you will pay about $25.

Thanks, the camera shop was trying to sell me 100.00 filters. I just thought that was kind of expensive.

Like anything, you get what you pay for... but after a certain point, you pay a lot for not much better. So you don't need to spend $100 for a filter.... the $100 filter is better than the $30 filter, but whether or not it's $70 better is up to you. Just don't really cheap out. because at the bottom, things get sketchy quick. As mentioned, Hoya is a good compromise.

The local camera shop sells promaster filters. They seem expensive but are they good quality?

I got UV filters and use them for it's purpose but mostly use them to protect my lenses, I didn't mind buying my UV filter from ebay, they are way cheaper and do the job at protecting my lenses.

Nino G. Photography
www.ninogphotography.com

Yes they protect your lens but They become part of the optics. Don't buy the cheapest. 30 bucks is fair to protect a $500 lens

Sent from my iPhone using PhotoForum

Get them on amazon. It's just a few days to wait for the shipping, but you will save money.

I bought the B+W F-Pro. I think it's multi-coated. I haven't done enough with it to have a verdict since I've only been doing indoor shots recently. Nothing to complain about through.

Also I have a brand new 77mm Hoya HMC UV filter, if any one is interested.

Adding a filter, UV or clear, adds an airgap which promotes lens flare. Lens flare reduces image contrast.

UV or clear filters are pretty thin and thus pretty easy to break.

When they break, the sharp shards of broken glass usually get forced back into the front lens element, gouging or scratching what the filter was supposed to 'protect'.

By routinely using the lens hood in lieu of a 'protective' filter, you will reduce the chance of lens flare, will increase image contrast, and get a measure of front lens element impact protection into the bargain.

I ended up buying 4 filters on ebay.

I went with the Hoya Pro1D UV filters 28.00 for the 52mm and 44.00 for the 72mm.

I also got a Hoya HD CPL filter, 56.00 for the 52mm and 95.00 for the 72mm.
I looked around a lot and these were the best deals I could find for decent filters. I didn't want 20.00 images from my 800.00 lens.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back