FINALLY!!!! Introducing Great Horned Owl And Owlets

TheNevadanStig

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.jasonlighthallphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Well, if you've read much of my threads/comments, I have been wanting some owl action since I took up wildlife photography. Around here, owls are not common at all. I've lived in the area 10 years, and spend a good deal of time outdoors, and have seen 1 barn owl that entire time. But today that changed.
I can't express how surprised I was at the size of these things. I'd say the biggest bird I've gotten close to is a red-tailed hawk. These babies who can't even fly yet where about that size. I shot them for a while then finally found momma, and boy was she impressive. I'm really surprised by how comfortable they all were with me there. I tried as hard as I could making noises to get good eye contact with momma owl, but she could care less. The babies were really intrigued ever time I crinkled an empty water bottle. I originally thought there was only two, but reviewing pics I believe there were three.

OK, done with all the blabbering. On to the pics:

The Owlets:
162 by TheNevadanStig, on Flickr

177 by TheNevadanStig, on Flickr

182 by TheNevadanStig, on Flickr

274 by TheNevadanStig, on Flickr

On to Momma Owl:
336 by TheNevadanStig, on Flickr

354 by TheNevadanStig, on Flickr

358 by TheNevadanStig, on Flickr

421 by TheNevadanStig, on Flickr

Great shots!

That momma is totally giving you the stinkeye :)

Awesome pictures. You're lucky momma didn't eat you.

Great set!

It's so strange that there used to be so many of these around where I live, and since I started photography they all seem to have migrated somewhere else :(

Great capture stig, my fav being #2 & #4. But how did you get that almost head on #7 shot? Did you climb those trees?

I usually find bird shots boring, but these are cool!

Gaaaahhhh, EVERYbody is getting OWL pics, and I still can't find a single stinkin' owl!!!! (I can't find any that don't stink, either).

:jealous: :eek:wl_failure:

:lmao:

Beautiful shots! But I'm still jealous...

Yep no owls for me yet. Nice set of owls you lucky one.

I believe the look she gave you in the last shot was telling you the shoot was over lol

I love owls.. These are great shots. I love the expressions in the last three shot. Too funny!!

Woohoo! way to go! They should be hopping around on the branches and getting ready to fly.. Wish I still had 2 owlets in the woods :(

It's so strange that there used to be so many of these around where I live, and since I started photography they all seem to have migrated somewhere else :(

Great capture stig, my fav being #2 & #4. But how did you get that almost head on #7 shot? Did you climb those trees?

Nope. Whistled at it, and it leaned down. It was probably a good 30-40 feet up for all the pictures. The nest was relatively low actually, maybe 12 feet or so off the ground.

Awesome pictures. You're lucky momma didn't eat you.

Actually, it crossed my mind lol. Just the other night I watched a documentary on the snowy owl and one of the snowies actually put a camera man in the hospital.

Woohoo! way to go! They should be hopping around on the branches and getting ready to fly.. Wish I still had 2 owlets in the woods :(

I went back tonight during the evening cause the wife really wanted to see them. I actually believe there is three of them in there, I can only get an angle on two of them though. It looked like one was thinking of starting to climb. I was hoping to get better directional light but we had some storm clouds spotting over. I ended up tucking the camera in the sweatshirt and heading back in a drizzle. I might have got some better ones then these though in the small breaks, I'm transferring them now.

And on the way home we saw a MASSIVE nest with a MASSIVE bird in it. I'm thinking it might be a golden eagle. I'm going to try and check it in the morning, the only problem is it's in the flats and I'm not sure I can get there without getting mired. I've been thinking of renting a 500MM lens for a day or two, that might be the perfect excuse to pull the trigger on it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back