First Moon Shot

Kolia

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Got to hook up the camera to my new telescope tonight.

A full moon isn't ideal but I didn't have a T mount two weeks ago...

Here's the results:

With ND 0.6 filter
DSC00977-L.jpg

With ND 0.6 filter using the Handheld Night Shot option (Basicaly an HDR of 6 images)
DSC00981-L.jpg

With ND 0.6 and Orange filter
DSC00971-L.jpg

I'll need to work on the tripod to minimize vibrations. When it's more stable, I should be able to focus better the eye piece.

Fun fact, the Man on the Moon is real ! I had the face detection turn on a couple time while focusing ! :)

Why are you using an ND filter? And why HDR?

The HDR is the camera's handheld night shoot function. I was experimenting with settings and wanted to see if stacking multiple fast shutter speed images would make for a sharper picture.

The filter is needed because I don't have control of the aperture when mounted directly to the telescope. The moon is just too bright on its own.

Here's what the setup looks like:

CA03061221502545-M.jpg

The HDR is the camera's handheld night shoot function. I was experimenting with settings and wanted to see if stacking multiple fast shutter speed images would make for a sharper picture.

The filter is needed because I don't have control of the aperture when mounted directly to the telescope. The moon is just too bright on its own.

1/640 is the fastest shutter speed you can do? Your ISO is all over the board... 500.... 3200.... 1600. Set it at 100 and you won't need a ND filter.

BTW, you can get sharper images by stacking, but stack equally exposed frames. The moon doesn't have that much dynamic range to need HDR. Try RegiStax.

These where first tries to get familiar with the new equipment.

I'll lock the iso at 100 next time and adjust the shutter speed. The camera can go to 1/4000.

Thanks for the link.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back