Flickr, 500px, Smugmug etc - What's your number 1 most viewed image

Mine... 16k+ views
Shot a long time ago. Wasn't even a great shot, photography wise, but I think the subject matter helped it along.

View attachment 187622

I think this pose is unorthodox, unusual and nicely done. It would make me stop and look. The smile is inviting so this has all the makings of a sleeper shot. Nice shot.
Since this seems ok, I’ll post a couple!!!
SS

Removed as NSFW.
67BEBC81-969E-428D-9E15-823B7421E872.jpeg
I’m not on any photo sharing sites but I am on Instagram and Model Mayhem si I’ll post 2 pics, one from each.
I think one of these pics is a mistake or a glitch it’s so out of character!
Both of these where shot about 5 years ago.
The first is Gamer Girl. At least she used to have a gamer blog and posted pics of herself to drive all the little gamer boys wild, which I’m sure she did!!! These sites get very little traffic, I’m FAR from an influencer! LoL
Just a quick shot for her blog but even though I had 1/2 as many followers a year ago it is still my most “liked” image on IG with about 100 likes!
The second is Girl With Little Black Purse, from Model Mayhem. I posted this shot and never really looked at it again. I was keeping an eye on an image, my most viewed pic, at about 1300 views. A couple years went by and I was looking back at past posts and was literally SHOCKED that this pic had 13,000+ views!!! That’s 10x more than my next most viewed pic!!!
Both are FAR from my best shots(I think), but whoever looks at my sites seem to like them the most!!!
SS

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had a few photos make it to Flickr's Explore, without any rhyme or reason for which that I can determine.

This is my most viewed so far with 102,773 views.

Rio Arriba county

This one is second most viewed with 92,405 views.

the old ford tractor

This one has the most "faves" at 844, with 61,894 views.
It was posted for Flickr's "Sliders Sunday" group, the images are wildly over processed by taking sliders to the max.

lightning composite #02 30Jul18 slide

I've had a few photos make it to Flickr's Explore, without any rhyme or reason for which that I can determine.

This is my most viewed so far with 102,773 views.

Rio Arriba county

This one is second most viewed with 92,405 views.

the old ford tractor

This one has the most "faves" at 844, with 61,894 views.
It was posted for Flickr's "Sliders Sunday" group, the images are wildly over processed by taking sliders to the max.

lightning composite #02 30Jul18 slide

Interesting - your Rio Arriba scene is now overc102,000 views in 4 months, but again just my view, but the old farm machinery, fall trees, the bird, are all more appealing images to my eyes, all with a similar duration, but far fewer views.

Perhaps some of the people Liking these popular images are 'Super-spreaders' who have lots of followers?

I like The View with that old tractor pull combine

In terms of my most- hit gallery...without question , this gal's
D3X_4240_1600x-template 13%.jpg
D3X_5236_1600x-2.jpg
...over 5,000 discrete visitors in the first weekend, back in 2014. Most unusual for pBase. pBase has a front page where most recent Gallery uploads are featured. Typically you will only be on the front page for 2 days at the very most. If there have been lots of uploads you might be on page one for as little as 6 hours.

Interesting - your Rio Arriba scene is now overc102,000 views in 4 months, but again just my view, but the old farm machinery, fall trees, the bird, are all more appealing images to my eyes, all with a similar duration, but far fewer views.

Perhaps some of the people Liking these popular images are 'Super-spreaders' who have lots of followers?
Frank, I've never been able to figure out Flickr's "algorithm" for "interestingness." Interestingness was what Flickr at one time used for deciding which images made it to their Explore. They said they used an algorithm.
If Flickr somehow chooses to place an image at the top of Explore, then that is what generates all the views and faves.
It doesn't seem to be the views and faves that cause an image to be placed in Explore.

I know superb photographers at Flickr who have never had an image in Explore.
And then there are mediocre photographers like me who have had over one hundred.
Go figure.

It's a mystery but I believe that once you get explore you are more likely to get repeats, I didn't get one for years and then got one followed by three more in just a few months. Also there is one way to guarantee an explore and that is to take pictures of Lego people! :D

In terms of my most- hit gallery...without question , this gal'sView attachment 187631 View attachment 187632 ...over 5,000 discrete visitors in the first weekend, back in 2014. Most unusual for pBase. pBase has a front page where most recent Gallery uploads are featured. Typically you will only be on the front page for 2 days at the very most. If there have been lots of uploads you might be on page one for as little as 6 hours.

That is a very nice shot. Background is interesting, just enough OOF, nice grass in foreground, attractive model, relaxed but confident pose. I get why it was popular.

It's a mystery but I believe that once you get explore you are more likely to get repeats, I didn't get one for years and then got one followed by three more in just a few months. Also there is one way to guarantee an explore and that is to take pictures of Lego people! :D

Thete's been a lot of discussion about the Flickr algorithm, but I think it's based on the rate that Likes, Views and Comments are added after posting. So if you post in a million Groups and have a lot of Followers, you improve your chances.

Buses also seem to do well for some odd reason.

I've never had an Explore

In terms of my most- hit gallery...without question , this gal'sView attachment 187631 View attachment 187632 ...over 5,000 discrete visitors in the first weekend, back in 2014. Most unusual for pBase. pBase has a front page where most recent Gallery uploads are featured. Typically you will only be on the front page for 2 days at the very most. If there have been lots of uploads you might be on page one for as little as 6 hours.

That is a very nice shot. Background is interesting, just enough OOF, nice grass in foreground, attractive model, relaxed but confident pose. I get why it was popular.

Thanks. I think that around the 2014 time frame, I shot some of my best people pictures. 2014 was my third year shooting the Nikon D3x, which I found to be perhaps the best camera I have ever used in the past 45 years. It was a great shooter for me. It had a fantastic viewfinder which was super-sharp and clear, on par with a Nikon F3-hp

This 35 year-old beauty, with red hair, blue eyes, and freckles, was photographed near a marina and park on the shores of the Columbia River in Saint Helens, Oregon.

Last edited:

Nigel, I looked at your Flickr and saw you had a Leafy Sea Dragon!
LoL, let me tell ya my Leafy Sea Dragon story!!
I spent 3 days Diving out of Melbourne off a boat. I knew there were leafy Sea Dragons(LSD) in the area and had always wanted to see one. After 3 days and 6 dives I had pretty much gotten skunked!
As I was turning in my gear someone at the dive shop asked if my dive had been a success. I said NO because I never got to see a danged LSD!!
They looked at me incredulously and said, "well go out and see one".
I'm sure I looked pretty darned perplexed, after all I was turning in my gear!
They said to just go out to the end of the dock and look for one.
So I strapped the tank back on, it still had about 15 minutes of air in it, and followed the pylons out to the end of the pier. I went down and looked around and there, just floating around were THREE LSD's and I'm sure they were all just laughing at me!!! LoL
SS

Most reactions

Back