Frame or No Frame for a Gallery

rexbobcat

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
The title sounds more obvious than it really is...

So I talked to a local gallery here and they said that they'd like to display a few of my photographs (I have 20 sq. feet to fill) but...I'm not sure how to display them. I know that the conventional way is to mat and frame them, however I was wondering if it would look okay to simply mount them on styrene or foamboard and display them like that?

1st reason for doing this: it's cheap, and I'm currently poor...and I need the photos ready for display by June.

2nd reason: It allows me to show more photos at larger sizes. As in, the display will be close to 100% photo instead of 40% photo and 60% frame/mat

Are those logical reasons? Do unframed photographs look alright (excluding canvas prints lol)? Or would it be better to bite the bullet and frame them?

This gallery is also pretty small and local. It is NOT a super-critically acclaimed gallery. They aren't sticklers about formats, so I basically have freedom to do what I want. I'm just wondering what looks best, and if unframed gallery photographs are generally considered to be tacky or something....

Doesn't work for me, but that doesn't mean it won't for you.

I am old school and frankly feel the way we present the work indicates how we feel about our photos. Presented professional = a professional attitude.

Frame. presentation is key as mentioned by ann; if you're given an opportunity to showcase your work at a gallery go big or go home hehe plus it seems they're giving you an opportunity (free exposure). if you go in there poorly presenting yourself it will also look poorly on them and im sure they'll blacklist in future opportunities...even if they're small and not picky they'll still take note and also people will take note of how you showcase your work and value your own work's presentation.

I agree with Ann a 100%

The way you show your work is directly related to the way you value your work.

There are ways to not spend too much on frames and such yet still show your work in the best possible way. Figure it out.

In the meantime, why would I spend $500 on a photo of yours if you can't be bothered to show them off in the best way possible?

We were all poor once. Photo is not the best way to get rich... :)

Your question comes back here all the time: how do I sell for big money without spending any? There is no way :)

No matter what a stupid game it is, it is one you have to play if you want to get somewhere.

Either play the game or sell shots on street corners for $15 a pop. Which may not be as bad as it sounds, by the way.

1. Foamboard and mountboard warp. How quickly they warp depends on how much the moisture content of the air changes over time where ever they are displayed.

2. Sticking/gluing a print to foamboard, mountboard or any other substrate is not an archival mounting method and seriously shortens the life of a print.

3. No glazing (glass/acrylic) in front of the print speeds up warping and allows quicker acid buildup in the print and mount.

Mounting Techniques for Matting and Framing Images
Northeast Document Conservation Center —*How to Do Your Own Matting and Hinging
American Frame Picture Framing Basics - American Frame

True story, on Thurs. I showed my morning class a small portfolio of portraits taken in Havana. They were in an aluminum folio box and when I opened it and talked about the work someone said "I knew something special was going to happen" . The container said it all before I even opened the folio.

True story, on Thurs. I showed my morning class a small portfolio of portraits taken in Havana. They were in an aluminum folio box and when I opened it and talked about the work someone said "I knew something special was going to happen" . The container said it all before I even opened the folio.

:thumbup:

:thumbup: :thumbup:

What they've all said! That said, you can get away without spend $3-400 per frame. I once did some images up for a charity auction and for one reason or another... I wound up doing them literally the night before they were "due". Michael's craft store had some really nice pre-cut mats in sizes up to 16x20, and nice-looking, but inexepensive frames. I think framing the four images cost around $100 - 125. Is that ideal for gallery presentation? No, but it's probably better than not doing it.

I agree with Ann a 100%

The way you show your work is directly related to the way you value your work.

There are ways to not spend too much on frames and such yet still show your work in the best possible way. Figure it out.

In the meantime, why would I spend $500 on a photo of yours if you can't be bothered to show them off in the best way possible?

We were all poor once. Photo is not the best way to get rich... :)

Your question comes back here all the time: how do I sell for big money without spending any? There is no way :)

No matter what a stupid game it is, it is one you have to play if you want to get somewhere.

Either play the game or sell shots on street corners for $15 a pop. Which may not be as bad as it sounds, by the way.

I'm not really worried about selling my work. The chances of someone buying one of my photos is slim in this area, mostly because this is not the best place to sell art in the first place, and also because most people around here get hard ons only for regional and local art (IE: Photos of Texas Tech University, pictures of cowboy stuff etc...). It's a sad but true fact.

I wouldn't mind if someone bought one of my photos, but I'm honestly just content having them shown in the best way lol

So would something like these work?

7190065698_bec424ef35.jpg

7190060580_f300b4df7d.jpg

You can buy custom frame segments quite inexpensively, if you're using non-standard print sizes.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back