Fuji 14mm or Rokinon 12mm?

I want a screw on circular ND filter(s). Suggestions? Something stackable

I recently switched from the screw on to a Cokin | P-Series Filter Holder | 89988000 filter holder. It's not as compact as the round screw on but the flexibility of switching between different diameter lenses, the availability of filters, and the ability to stack and adjust filters to me outweighs the inconvenience.

I have a set of the square filters with the variable rings. I rarely use them - for me, they are a pita to use in the field and don’t fit well in my smallish bag. I want the convenience of the screw on filter. Not the most economical choice but since it will fit 3 of my lenses, not a terrible waste of money either.
I bought a promaster variable screw on with a couple step rings. It works for as little as I use it. No idea on quality, nothing to compare it to.

I want the convenience of the screw on filter.

No disagreement on the convenience. I still grab my circular filter pack when I have limited space. For me probably the biggest thing is the ability to stack and slide filters in the holder. to vary the effect. Even with the graduated circular ND's you don't have the control necessary sometimes in tricky lighting. It does take a little more time to setup properly, but the results outweigh the time/inconvenience for me. To each their own!

I want the convenience of the screw on filter.

No disagreement on the convenience. I still grab my circular filter pack when I have limited space. For me probably the biggest thing is the ability to stack and slide filters in the holder. to vary the effect. Even with the graduated circular ND's you don't have the control necessary sometimes in tricky lighting. It does take a little more time to setup properly, but the results outweigh the time/inconvenience for me. To each their own!

Yes. To be clear, not looking for a gnd, looking for a nd (maybe a 3 and a 6?) and possibly a polarizing as well.

To be clear, not looking for a gnd, looking for a nd (maybe a 3 and a 6?) and possibly a polarizing as well.

Not sure on your lens but on some of the ultra wide lenses you have a problem with vignetting. They do make some slim line circular filters that lessen the problem. Also be aware on the polarizing filter that at that wide the polarization effect can be very uneven and noticeable on skies.

Checking out the sharpness and the bokeh on the 14mm. ISO 1600, f/2.8, 1/500

1E5DC120-D8C1-47D1-AFC8-6EDD3DB23D75.jpeg

I recently switched from the screw on to a Cokin | P-Series Filter Holder | 89988000 filter holder. It's not as compact as the round screw on but the flexibility of switching between different diameter lenses, the availability of filters, and the ability to stack and adjust filters to me outweighs the inconvenience.

I have a set of the square filters with the variable rings. I rarely use them - for me, they are a pita to use in the field and don’t fit well in my smallish bag. I want the convenience of the screw on filter. Not the most economical choice but since it will fit 3 of my lenses, not a terrible waste of money either.

Screw on filters can be economical. Just buy 77mm or 82mm filters and then get a step down ring for each filter size you need. This allows you to have the largest standard size filter and adapt it down to smaller lenses as needed. That way you don’t need to have different sizes of each filter.

If you want to go smaller, just get the largest size that your lenses go to and step that down. Step down rings are ~$5 each. Stepping down larger filters also make vignetteing less of a problem and allow you to get away with regular filters and not more expensive “slim” filters.

Screw on filters can be economical. Just buy 77mm or 82mm filters and then get a step down ring for each filter size you need. This allows you to have the largest standard size filter and adapt it down to smaller lenses as needed. That way you don’t need to have different sizes of each filter.

If you want to go smaller, just get the largest size that your lenses go to and step that down. Step down rings are ~$5 each. Stepping down larger filters also make vignetteing less of a problem and allow you to get away with regular filters and not more expensive “slim” filters.

What a great idea. Never thought of that.

Sent from my iPhone using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app

What a great idea. Never thought of that.

Sent from my iPhone using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app

Destin - not sure I understand your suggestion. I already have a set of square filters with step down rings. I am thinking I want a round screw on filter. That would work with a step down ring?

I am thinking I want a round screw on filter. That would work with a step down ring?

I'm thinking this is what he's talking about. Step-Down Rings | B&H Photo Video IMO this looks like something that would cause vignetting.

Not in my practice. I used 82mm filters and 77mm lens with step down rings with no issues. Typically, your largest filter is going to be your widest lens, so it’s not a big deal.

Circular screw on filters?

I am thinking I want a round screw on filter. That would work with a step down ring?

I'm thinking this is what he's talking about. Step-Down Rings | B&H Photo Video IMO this looks like something that would cause vignetting.

Not in my practice. I used 82mm filters and 77mm lens with step down rings with no issues. Typically, your largest filter is going to be your widest lens, so it’s not a big deal.

Yes. I also used the filter for the 12mm Rokinon with no issues in the 18-55mm with a step down ring. No vignetting.

Yes. I also used the filter for the 12mm Rokinon with no issues in the 18-55mm with a step down ring. No vignetting.

Ah ok. I have the step down rings already so maybe will buy a bigger filter. I will have to look at my lenses and see if there are any others where I can imagine needing a ND filter.

Most reactions

Back