General feedback for a noob who knows the basics.

GMML

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Hello everyone,

I hope this is the right place to post this...

I've been photographing for 6months now and know most of the basics of photography. I only shoot in manual, have an ok understanding of hardware, lighting, composition and post (I think... I hope?).

I'm looking into discovering and developing my own style but have no decent feedback on my pictures. I decided to sign up to this forum and get that feedback from the photo community.

I've added a couple lf my pictures and would really appreciate some critique on some of my stuff.

Thanks.

open

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    593 KB · Views: 231
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 225
Last edited:
Welcome !!

The first one wouldn't be bad if it wasn't for the horrendously noticeable watermark. Same thing on the 2nd. The woman behind the flowers would have been good had it not been for the bad photoshop over the left eye. I presume it was to clone out a branch in the foreground. The last one could benefit from a tighter crop I think.

I've added a couple lf my pictures and would really appreciate some critique on some of my stuff.
Four photos is at the upper limit for me, so I'll give you a thumbnail critique on all four.

1. Your subject is not framed to its best advantage, the frame is tilted, the watermark is distracting, and the OOF background is very distracting.

2. Generally underexposed, uninteresting frame.

3. OOF stem is distracting, very odd pose, framed too tight, especially at the top edge.

4. Many compositional errors, poor exposure.

To add to Designiner's comments:

-The first two are grossly underexposed;
-Selective colour is an advertising technique, not an artistic one. What is it about that fire hydrant that makes you want to draw our attention to it?;
--The first image needs to be leveled;
-The third image is the best of the set, but lacks impact; the lighting is rather flat and even.
-The last image is out of focus, and the extreme dynamic range in the face really hurts it.

I would suggest doing further reading on exposure modes and learning how your camera 'sees' light as well as how exposure impacts composition. You're on your way, but there are a few areas for improvement.

To add to Designiner's comments:

-The first two are grossly underexposed;
-Selective colour is an advertising technique, not an artistic one. What is it about that fire hydrant that makes you want to draw our attention to it?;
--The first image needs to be leveled;
-The third image is the best of the set, but lacks impact; the lighting is rather flat and even.
-The last image is out of focus, and the extreme dynamic range in the face really hurts it.

I would suggest doing further reading on exposure modes and learning how your camera 'sees' light as well as how exposure impacts composition. You're on your way, but there are a few areas for improvement.

I'm very grateful you all took the time to give me some direction. I will be looking into "how your camera 'sees' light as well as how exposure impacts composition" Right away. If any of you could provide some more direction as to what else I should be learning, that would be very appreciated.

Thanks

#1 - looks like an attempt to make a oucture of something ordinary into something else by beating it up with processing. Conversion to BW seems totally out of character for this shot. And that fuzzy crossbar?

#2 ditto. -if the hydrant was a person, you've cut their feet off.

#3 - interesting composition but either waay over-processed or she has extraordinary skin damage

#4 - OOF and waaay too high a dynamic range or an attempt to make a snap into something.

Start by taking decently composed, decently exposed pictures.

Work on learning how to use your meter and getting proper exposures. Maybe try looking up 'elements of composition in art' and that should give you some student level info. (unless you have some art background already).

I think the playground rocking horse and the red fire hydrant show you're seeing potentially interesting subjects. You might want to try taking more pictures of those and see what else you can do. Think about your vantage point and perspective - take a step or two, scrunch down, try a different angle, etc. (edit - you could 'move' that crossbar by moving yourself and changing your vantage point). Notice your backgrounds. Take more than one picture adjusting aperture or shutter speed a stop each time, or adjusting the ISO, and notice what that does to the exposure. Might help to jot down what you do so later you can go thru your pictures and see what worked (and I learn a lot from what didn't work too!).

Take your time and think about what you're doing so you're not just mindlessly firing off endless shots - take a relatively small number at a time. I'm a longtime film photographer so I tend to think in terms of frames, but I'd maybe go shoot a roll or two in a day out taking pictures, 24 or 36 per roll x 2... around that number would be a lot for one series or session of shooting to go back and look thru.

Six months isn't really all that long so keep practicing and learning.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I should have signed up for this forum ages ago. I think in my case I 'don't know what I don't know' So this kind of precise information on what i'm doing wrong is exactly what I need to keep increasing my learning curve.
I'm about to binge watch a whole bunch of videos on composition and exposure.

When I have some better (hopefully) pictures, should I post them here or start a new thread?

When I have some better (hopefully) pictures, should I post them here or start a new thread?
IMO, if subsequent photos are somehow connected to the topic of this thread, then post here and continue the thought.

If, on the other hand, they have little connection to this thread topic, then start new ones.

FYI: If you are seeking C&C, I prefer only one photo per thread, or maybe two if the two photos are intended as a compare and contrast type critique. Other members are not as fussy, and if you decide to post several photos for C&C in one thread, please number them.

First one very good, only a little tilt to the left, I would change that if it was mine.
I'd prefer less DOF on the second and no straw in the eye of the third.

I have a better idea than binge viewing a lot of videos, most of which are mostly crap to start with. Get out your camera's manual and read it from cover to cover. As you read it, try out the different settings to see how one compares to another. Then, pick one setting combination and shoot an array of shots starting in the am and working through the pm to see how the camera and those settings react to the change of light throughout the day. Next day, pick a different combination, say shutter priority and go shoot a bunch of moving things, same time frame. Keep doing this until you've explored all the settings your camera offers. Keep a notebook and compare your notes to the frames. LEARN. It's a process and there is no video in the world that is going to compensate for your own learning.

I learned photography in high school from an old geezer who shot a 4x5 view camera during the Battle of the Bulge, in full combat. I learned that even with such a large format camera, even in the worst of the worst conditions, that camera knowledge was the best knowledge there was. We shot football and basketball games with Speed Graphics. We did all the Senior portraits using Speed Graphics, and we shot all the yearbook photos...and we shot only film, of course which meant 2 frames per holder. Know they camera first and how to expose properly, then learn about composition.

The fallacy to your post is that you do not know the basics.

Most reactions

Back