Golfscapes - C&C

Bo4key

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Thoughts on the portrait orientation of this shot?

1) The Rise #10 by Boaketography, on Flickr

2)
15 th Hole - KG&CC by Boaketography, on Flickr

I'm trying to improve my golf landscape photography so any suggestions are greatly appreciated. I play a lot of golf and would really like to be able to capture the beauty of some of the awesome courses we have in this area.

Okanagan Valley/centrail-interior? #1 works in that it's a vertical composition and a long, narrow subject, but I don't really see a subject on which to focus. The fairway is far enough away that it's not very prominent - I think this might be a scene begging for the golden light of sunrise. I also think a more panoramic composition would have worked here much better. #2 isn't bad, but seems just a touch out of level.

This is in Vernon, yes.

I agree it lacks a focal point, and I'm having a hard time composing these type of shots with a strong subject to focus on. I'd love to go back and get some shots during sunset. I've never called a course and asked what their policies would be to visit just to take some photos. I usually just take my camera with me when I am playing.

Here's the same hole but with a more traditional composition.

#10 - The Rise by Boaketography, on Flickr

I really think panos might be the way to go, and definitely enquire about early/late access.

The vertical orientation isn't working for me. The view down the fairway lacks a destination because the fairway itself isn't interesting and the camera is too low to see the green.

If you had Sparky's camera mast to get a higher vantage point then I think the orientation might work well.

I like your second version better. on the portrait version i just started at the bottom. scanned my eyes up thru the fairway into the sky and off the page. on the secone one my eyes scanned the fairwa then across the mountains and back down to the water. keepin my attention longer and keeping my eyes on the photo.

Man I miss living in that part of the country... I used to live in Kamloops and went to Vernon quite a bit in the summer for their skate park.

I think they are good shots in general, but I'm sure they would be a lot better at sunset like you mentioned to help give it a little more dramatic effect.

This is in Vernon, yes.

I agree it lacks a focal point, and I'm having a hard time composing these type of shots with a strong subject to focus on. I'd love to go back and get some shots during sunset. I've never called a course and asked what their policies would be to visit just to take some photos. I usually just take my camera with me when I am playing.

Here's the same hole but with a more traditional composition.

#10 - The Rise by Boaketography, on Flickr

I really like this shot. I am an avid golfer, and can really appreciate these types of pictures. I just wish I was playing this course!
I don't think there really has to be a focal point, because any golfer will naturally focus on the fairway. I like this shot because it shows the gorgeous view of the mountains and the lake. That's why I golf these courses, for the views!
Keep posting the pics!

I like me golf too, wouldn't mind a round on either of those courses. From a composition side I prefer the second shot.

In that first one, take a little off the top and off the bottom and I think you have a nice picturesque scene.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back