TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.petecrawford.co.uk
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Gone Fishin' 10 by wee_pete, on Flickr

Had a bit of fun today out fishing. Shame the day was overcast, but fishing 25-30ft above the water let me take this shot. Fish were plentyful, but nothing of any real size. The walk back up the hill in the dark was a bummer, it's a steep, with a narrow, slippy muddy path round the marks so needed care with near sheer drops in places.

That looks an ace location (apart from the off level horizon;)). What species were you getting there? That's more the kind of marks we have in my area. Just coming into Cod season too. I'll have to try and get out more this year.

Great spot to fish from. How do you get the fish up there when you catch them.

Nice shot, btw.

looks a nice spot......

Thanks Jeff, it's pretty cool, the steepness makes it look like you'll walk off the edge of the world but you can get down with care.

That looks an ace location (apart from the off level horizon;)). What species were you getting there? That's more the kind of marks we have in my area. Just coming into Cod season too. I'll have to try and get out more this year.

Haha, good spot, I forgot to level it before I posted. It's a South West mark so wrasse: corkwings, ballans, goldsinney, rockcook even cuckoo wrasse about. Pollock, coalies, bullhuss, conger, tope, mackerel, cod, gurnard, rockling and dogfish are the main catches. Probably some rays about and the odd chance of haddock, herring and smoothound. One of the great things about fishing it is you'll be in with a chance of any species in out waters, so it really is a mixed bag full of possibility. We'll be heading up nearer your neck of the woods for the cod soon

Nice shot, btw.

Thanks PJM, we use heavy rods, 12-14ft surfcasting rods that are pretty stiff so either you winch the fish up or handline it and hope the hook holds or find a way to climb down. there was a wee bit just to my left that I could get down to the water fairly easily but a few areas here you can only haul them up as it's a 40-50ft drop off. Not one for the feinthearted!

looks a nice spot......

Thanks Jeff, it's pretty cool, the steepness makes it look like you'll walk off the edge of the world but you can get down with care.

Haha, good spot, I forgot to level it before I posted. It's a South West mark so wrasse: corkwings, ballans, goldsinney, rockcook even cuckoo wrasse about. Pollock, coalies, bullhuss, conger, tope, mackerel, cod, gurnard, rockling and dogfish are the main catches. Probably some rays about and the odd chance of haddock, herring and smoothound. One of the great things about fishing it is you'll be in with a chance of any species in out waters, so it really is a mixed bag full of possibility. We'll be heading up nearer your neck of the woods for the cod soon

Nice shot, btw.

Thanks PJM, we use heavy rods, 12-14ft surfcasting rods that are pretty stiff so either you winch the fish up or handline it and hope the hook holds or find a way to climb down. there was a wee bit just to my left that I could get down to the water fairly easily but a few areas here you can only haul them up as it's a 40-50ft drop off. Not one for the feinthearted!

Man that's some selection of species. You'll have to let me know when yer up this way. Might pop along and say 'fit like'.;)

looks a nice spot......

Nice shot, btw.

Man that's some selection of species. You'll have to let me know when yer up this way. Might pop along and say 'fit like'.;)

No worries mate, I'm normally about with a few members of the club so I'll see what the plans are. A few of them were up that way last week for the turbot and one of the guys got a new club record

looks a nice spot......

Nice shot, btw.

No worries mate, I'm normally about with a few members of the club so I'll see what the plans are. A few of them were up that way last week for the turbot and one of the guys got a new club record

Where was that, the Montrose/Arbroath area?

On the old skyway bridge that's used for fishing a lot of people use "hoop nets" to lift the larger fish up. Nice pic and place to fish.

On the old skyway bridge that's used for fishing a lot of people use "hoop nets" to lift the larger fish up. Nice pic and place to fish.

Thanks Kirk, I think we'd call them drop nets. I do have one, but they are very seldom used in the UK and I really cut down all my gear for the walk back up the hill. I do enjoy fishing it, though I probably wouldn't walk round the lower path in the dark again, it was a wee bit too dangerous in a couple of places.

Thanks Kirk, I think we'd call them drop nets. I do have one, but they are very seldom used in the UK and I really cut down all my gear for the walk back up the hill. I do enjoy fishing it, though I probably wouldn't walk round the lower path in the dark again, it was a wee bit too dangerous in a couple of places.

Agreed, you don't want to fall and be laying with broken bones where no one will find you and end up on some TV show like, "I Shouldn't Be Alive." I'm buying a micro compact handgun (hopefully, a 9 mm Hell Cat) to pocket carry with me for when I'm around alligators to avoid being on that show also.

Cut my teeth on cliff fishing and done it for decades but never had or used a net. Always just winched the fish up with the beachcaster, multiplier, brute strength and ignorance:D. Dropped a few fish over the years mind but not too many.;)

Agreed, you don't want to fall and be laying with broken bones where no one will find you and end up on some TV show like, "I Shouldn't Be Alive." I'm buying a micro compact handgun (hopefully, a 9 mm Hell Cat) to pocket carry with me for when I'm around alligators to avoid being on that show also.

Yes mate, I'd really rather not join those ranks! That 9mm sounds like a good idea.

I was fishing in Austrailia once and had to cross a bridge over a small stream that had a 6ft saltwater croc laying on the banks. After I got over the sand bank between the stream and the beach I realised that it could probably get over the sand dunes if it wanted. I had a few looks over my shoulder that day! Still had some whiting from the beach and it was gone when I walked back.

Most reactions

Back