Has anyone owned, or used both the 1Dmkiv and the 7Dmkii ?

Didereaux

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
tinyurl.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
The reason I ask is I am anticipating winning a small lottery:beguiled: and am considering getting either a good used 1Dmkiv or a new 7Dmkii. I DO NOT do vids so that is not a factor. More concerned about low light, focusing, and above all QUALITY of the picture OOC.

Thanks for input. PLEASE do not give your opinion if you have NOT tried both of these cameras....I can guess just as well as you can! ;)

I have a pretty lengthy reply to this question here.. Canon 7D2 vs 1D4

Now that I have shot with the loaner body for 2 weeks, I do like the 7dm2 better. The 1d4 is more forgiving and I love the tank like feel, but I love big cameras.. Read through the link above and I can answer any other questions you may have

Now that I have shot with the loaner body for 2 weeks, I do like the 7dm2 better. The 1d4 is more forgiving and I love the tank like feel, but I love big cameras.. Read through the link above and I can answer any other questions you may have

Just read that thread. Yes, very good reply and helpful. I have watched your posts for some time and I rarely detect differences. RonL stated in that thread "have both and have not used the 1DIV since getting the 7D2. The advantages for the 7D (for me) are the silent shutter, the tracking and the extra pixels. The only downside is the ISO performance, I find the 7D2 maxes out at 1250 ISO which is only 3/4 of a stop more then the original 7D." Do you agree with that conclusion that the 7Dii is only a slight improvement on sensitivity?

Just read that thread. Yes, very good reply and helpful. I have watched your posts for some time and I rarely detect differences. RonL stated in that thread "have both and have not used the 1DIV since getting the 7D2. The advantages for the 7D (for me) are the silent shutter, the tracking and the extra pixels. The only downside is the ISO performance, I find the 7D2 maxes out at 1250 ISO which is only 3/4 of a stop more then the original 7D." Do you agree with that conclusion that the 7Dii is only a slight improvement on sensitivity?
Well, it's hard for me to say exactly, as I was shooting Nikon up until the 7dm2. I'm sure I can dig up some raws and send them to you. I have this one at ISO 5000, but everything has to go right... Chippie ISO 5000 9_2

Well, it's hard for me to say exactly, as I was shooting Nikon up until the 7dm2. I'm sure I can dig up some raws and send them to you. I have this one at ISO 5000, but everything has to go right... Chippie ISO 5000 9_2

Thanks. that 'munk although as you say everything has to go right is in my experience with my 7D about two stops better than I could achieve. Beginning to look like that depending upon price it's a toss up. I like the 1Dmkiv 1.3 crop vs the 7's 1.6, but really what I shoot, and the equipment I have that is a piddling difference. Really appreciate the feedback on this. Now I have to work on that 'lottery' thing! lol

I shoot often with ISO's above 2000 with 7dmII. My bottom is going to really hurt when my expectations increase. :(

Just did a quick check of my Flickr; guess I don't post many >1000. Never really thought about it much.

Thanks. that 'munk although as you say everything has to go right is in my experience with my 7D about two stops better than I could achieve. Beginning to look like that depending upon price it's a toss up. I like the 1Dmkiv 1.3 crop vs the 7's 1.6, but really what I shoot, and the equipment I have that is a piddling difference. Really appreciate the feedback on this. Now I have to work on that 'lottery' thing! lol
Here is the raw file... anyone can play if they want (just don't steal it, lol). I shot it ETTR and the exposure is perfect to pull back down a little. LT9A4089.CR2 Like I said everything has to go just right at an ISO this high on DX...

Here is another sample shot at ISO 10K I overexposed by 1+ stop... LT9A9223.CR2

Last edited:

Here is the raw file... anyone can play if they want (just don't steal it, lol). I shot it ETTR and the exposure is perfect to pull back down a little. LT9A4089.CR2 Like I said everything has to go just right at an ISO this high on DX...

Here is another sample shot at ISO 10K I overexposed by 1+ stop... LT9A9223.CR2

Thank you. that allowed me a side by side with my own 7D Raw. In what appears to be relatively same environment there does appear to be 2, maybe 3 stops better sensitivity with the MKii. The closest lens I have to compare is my 70-200 F4, and certainly no equal of your EF 500 but nonetheless the camera differences are easily detectable. Thank you for those RAWs, it really is the only way to compare.

As an aside, what software are you using for noise reduction?

Well, like I said it doesn't always go that well, if you are underexposed at all forget about it at high ISO..

I do normal adjustments in LR then I use photoshop for localized sharpening and background noise reduction..

I think I would also choose the 7D2, .... and "0' shutter count !

Most reactions

New Topics

Back