What's new

Hello, my name is Scott and I'm a photoholic.

Wow I just looked at the freakin syllabus and they want me to buy a $120 calculator, and then turn around and buy a $150 calculator next semester!:madmad::banghead: What do they think I am... made of money.. Not to mention $120 for a damn book!

Not to mention I hate figuring out what is a natural, whole number, integer, irrational and rational number.. Grrunt
 
The calculator is useless I have one and we never used it. The book is of course a necessary evil.
 
The calculator is useless I have one and we never used it. The book is of course a necessary evil.


So oh master of math, what would you suggest for a calculator. Because i am not as smart as you and need one..lol
 
any $12 scientific calculator should work for any purpose you need. The only reason they want you to buy the $150 is to help you graph stuff and possibly to approximate roots.
 
Did you contact your teacher about it? There are a couple of cheaper graphing calculators out there that will do everything those will do (around $50 instead of $100). Sometimes the teacher will teach the class based on the calculator and that can be a pain.
 
Did you contact your teacher about it? There are a couple of cheaper graphing calculators out there that will do everything those will do (around $50 instead of $100). Sometimes the teacher will teach the class based on the calculator and that can be a pain.


Well I think she is teaching the course based on the calculator..
 
I would definitely shoot an e-mail off and ask I'd sell you mine but something got spilled on it and the keys stick (I was forced to get it for an algebra class in high school and we never used it and every class since then has said no calculators.) It is really hard to teach an algebra class to a calculator they don't do symbolic manipulation until you get to the TI-89. If you're going to be taking a statistics class down the road the TI-83+ will literally do the class for you.
 
I made the mistake of going with the TI89 because my teacher said that the class was going to be taught off of an 89.... but that's OK, my parents covered the difference between the 84 and the 89. :D
 
Yeah I've never been a fan of those calculators... They don't actually help in the long run.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom