What's new

Hello, my name is Scott and I'm a photoholic.

When my brother-in-law died, our oldest daughter was 5 and very close to him. I took her to the casket and held her up to see. We had a long talk that she remembers to this day. It helped her a lot. Many in the family thought I was wrong to do that, but I didn't think so then and don't now. It would depend on the child though. If my youngest had been in the same situation, I don't think she would have understood at all.
 
When Kevs grandma died last year we showed both boys her body. They both knew she was going to pass.. But my son was crushed when they shut the casket. He didn't quite understand.
Saturday we are going to see his great grandpa (Kev's grandpa) in which Ryan (my 6yo) has only seen once and Keagan ( my 4yo) has never met. I'm hoping we won't have much trama. But it does serve for a good lesson to help them understand that if they do something dangerous like running into the road, they will possibly die... Just like "so-in-so, and wont be with us anymore... That hits home for them. And helps us keep them on a leash (persay)
 
Yea, my 7 Y.O. grandson, the son of our oldest, never had the experience like his mom. When I would say don't run out near the street, you can get killed. He would just shrug his shoulders and say "so?". Until last year he had no real comprehension of death. I think he gets it now, but with all the cartoons and TV, death is so abstract to many kids now days.
 
Oh I know. Death has been made a joke, so they really don't know what it really is. So that is have the reason I have no problem whatsoever taking my kids to funerals, or letting them watch the news when a kid has been kidnapped... and things.. I don't sheild my kids because that breads curiosity.
 
Exactly. This is why as soon as my kids expressed an interest in my shooting competition, I took them to a range and let them shoot. Better they hold and shoot a gun with my supervision than sneak around and do it themselves.
 
Exactly.. We have a "naked" policy at home.. That if the boys want to run around naked they can. Kev and I also occassionally walk around naked, and it makes it so the boys aren't so "shocked" when they see a nude body on a movie, and they aren't overly curious about the body.
 
Yeah now if only you could get rid of the American fear of the nude body and you'd probably solve 99% of our problems.
 
For being a very conservative family socially and uneconomically (code for politically) we were somewhat liberal within our home. When the kids were very young we were the same way. As they grew, they decided to cover up and that was fine. We did not draw attention to it one way or the other. Having a boy and girls was a little different though.
 
Well, let us know what new toys you come across.

The dealer I go to gets new stuff every week....generally....sadly he had nothing this week :(

When my brother-in-law died, our oldest daughter was 5 and very close to him. I took her to the casket and held her up to see. We had a long talk that she remembers to this day. It helped her a lot. Many in the family thought I was wrong to do that, but I didn't think so then and don't now. It would depend on the child though. If my youngest had been in the same situation, I don't think she would have understood at all.

I had the same talk with my neice and nephiew when my father died, I forget how old they where at the time. It's amazing, they actually confront a funeral better than their father does now, as demonstrated when my mother passed a few years later.

...what problems?

Too many to list, boys who have been sheltered form nudity tend to become overly curious. This can lead to a handfull of problems when they act on that curiousity, most predominate in all boy, in the same age bracket households (parents not included). This can also apply to households where the female sibling is in a different age bracket as well. The same applies to females to a slightly lesser degree.

When my neice(8) and nephew (10) where younger, by sister bathed them together. From this they both understand that boy and girls are different and have seen the difference, having seen the difference they don't think much about it. Kids who dwell on the "what is the difference" question develope a strong desire to find out for them selves.....well you are a guy....how many different ways can you think of to see a naked woman? How many have problems associated with them?

There are many more but....
 
Well, we lost one of our big parrots about 11:00 last night. Didn't talk about it last night, cause I was pretty broken up about it. She was a Greenwinged Macaw, about 34" from head to tail. She had asthma and had new attacks starting last Thursday. The vet said her air-sacks were scared really bad from all the previous attacks and we should not expect her to survive many more. Well, we have been treating her several times a day with a nebulizer and she just got worse. She died in my arms about 10:45 last night. She was a real love, one of the few girlfriends Cathy will let me have. (all critter) Well, I quit feeling sorry for myself and let the thread get back to nonsense.

Im sorry to hear that John. :hugs: She really was a beautiful bird!
 
Yeah now if only you could get rid of the American fear of the nude body and you'd probably solve 99% of our problems.

I really dont understand why its such a taboo in america.... its just sad.
 
For being a very conservative family socially and uneconomically (code for politically) we were somewhat liberal within our home. When the kids were very young we were the same way. As they grew, they decided to cover up and that was fine. We did not draw attention to it one way or the other. Having a boy and girls was a little different though.

I think that is one reason Kev and I have been looking into family nudist resorts in the area. We have been talking to a family with 7 kids boys and girls, and they said that it was the best decision that they ever made (taking their family and joining a nudist resort community.)
I mean the boys (all three, kev included..lol) have taken showers with me so they know the difference between boys and girls. I just don't want the m to be overly conscious of their bodies, embarrassed and overly conservative. Because the body is a beautiful thing. There is no reason to "freak" out about a naked body. I am just trying to reduce problems down the road.

The dealer I go to gets new stuff every week....generally....sadly he had nothing this week :(



I had the same talk with my neice and nephiew when my father died, I forget how old they where at the time. It's amazing, they actually confront a funeral better than their father does now, as demonstrated when my mother passed a few years later.



Too many to list, boys who have been sheltered form nudity tend to become overly curious. This can lead to a handfull of problems when they act on that curiousity, most predominate in all boy, in the same age bracket households (parents not included). This can also apply to households where the female sibling is in a different age bracket as well. The same applies to females to a slightly lesser degree.

When my neice(8) and nephew (10) where younger, by sister bathed them together. From this they both understand that boy and girls are different and have seen the difference, having seen the difference they don't think much about it. Kids who dwell on the "what is the difference" question develope a strong desire to find out for them selves.....well you are a guy....how many different ways can you think of to see a naked woman? How many have problems associated with them?

There are many more but....
I think the main thing is consistency. I used to take baths with my boy cousin when I was a kid.. And then when they moved away I got curious, and got myself into trouble... But I think if they see it on a semi regular basis, then it will fit into the norm... And it won't intregue them so much.
 
What i think is funny is the people who freak out when someone is naked in the hot tub.

"oh your not wearing a swimsuit?! ewww!"

Its not like the swimsuit seals that water off from your... equipment... :)
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom