Hello. New member here and complete beginner photographer

Shutterpug

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello all. I joined this site because A. I want to take up photography and B. I haz questions. :bouncingsmileys: Oh look I've already figured out how to work the smileys! Anyway my OCD dictates that I must put my questions in numbered lists so here goes.

1. If I have a photograph that is 4x6-ish (the 4 is exact the 6 is the ish) what size picture frame should I get for it?
2. I want to get started in photography but I have almost no money. Is there any shame in using an ancient camera that takes actual film?
3. I want a camera that is better than just some point and shoot sixty dollar dsl camera from the local Wally-world. I have perused the local offerings limited though they are and was wondering if I should get a kit or just a camera? What comes in a 'kit' normally? Thanks in advance.

Also as a last minute thought the ancient camera in question is an Olympus something or other. Like I said I'm absolutely brand spanking new to photography and haven't taken pictures on anything but a smart phone (blasphemy I know) and even then it was just some random thing that I didn't bother to keep.

Welcome to TPF

#1 - try a 4x6 frame

There's no blasphemy in using a cell phone. I use one all the time. I also had a mirrorless and have DSLRs.

# 2 Keep in mind with film, you're gonna have to spend money on film processing either by sending out the film or buying the equipment and chemicals to do it yourself. With a digital camera, there's no cost after the initial purchase to just use it. But many people like film and we have many film users here.

# 3 a normal kit, if it has a removeable lens, normally will have a 18-55 lens on it. Great for getting started.
After that price dictates features in a way. And then your own preferences on ergonomics, etc.

Thank you butterfly man.:1247: Also why does it seem like photography is a rich mans hobby?

Thank you butterfly man.:1247: Also why does it seem like photography is a rich mans hobby?
Rich people buy Leica's.

The rest of us get Nikon, Canons, Pentax, etc.

Hello all. I joined this site because A. I want to take up photography and B. I haz questions.
Welcome!

MY OCD dictates that I must also provide answers, even though somebody else already has.

1. If you purchase a somewhat larger frame, say 5x7 for instance, then mat the photo to 1) crop the image without cutting anything, and 2) provide a "border" around the photo that (usually) is color-coordinated with the main colors in the photo. Also, suppose you really like a frame that is "too big"? Well, you just mat it to fit.

2. Film cameras (because they're old) are cheap to purchase, but expensive to feed. Film and processing is an on-going expense. Figure the long-term cost. Now, to get into photography with a digital single-lens reflex, consider getting an older used one that is in excellent condition.

3. The term "kit" comes from Olde English usage, and can mean anything from your football kit (jersey, shorts, cleats) to a photography kit, which usually is a camera body and a beginner lens. That is why people keep calling the 18-55mm a "kit" lens. that means it came with the kit, nothing more.

If you are considering one of those "100-piece" kits that include scads of cheap accessories, for which you pay full price, then I would advise caution. Usually when people do that they end up with a lot of cheap stuff that they used once, and tossed into a drawer, and are now saving up money to purchase better stuff of the same type only better.

If you allow yourself the time to keep us all up to date regarding your purchase, and providing links to the deals you are considering, we on here can offer our opinion of what you're looking at. When you find a deal you're interested in, start another thread asking about it, insert the hot link, and somebody on here will have a look.

Meanwhile, come up with your own realistic budget. Don't be bashful, not everyone has tons of money.

Ah, now you are asking the real question ... I can't really answer that, since I develop my own B+W and have never really calculate the cost of the chemicals per roll ... I think some here may have that answer ... but I think your question is about cost from a Photo Lab.

Yes photo lab to begin with. Once my wallet is better situated I will be using digital and processing my own. And how hard is it to get actual paying work as a photographer? I'd love to be a travel photographer. Just travel the world with my camera and a few lenses.

Everybody and their frigg'n family has access to a camera ... so making money from it requires a lot of effort and talent.

Ah, didn't mean to sound excited ... frigg'n just seemed like a cool word to use ... I blame it on the Beer.

Mmmmmmmm beer. You're a cat after my own heart. Now if you just liked Bettie.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back