Help me choose!!

Eventer

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.michelleclarke.co.nz
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I applied for a job with a Equine photography business - I got a good reply back and hes keen to see some work his indication on what type was "how would you like to send us some sample photos. A mix of all things would be interesting and must include some action shots as well"

Im unsure how many to send and what photos, Ive narrowed some but I keep finding more that might be suitable - So ill post them here and could you please tell which ones you like and why - of course you can decide to hate them all too :lol:

34258_407444739101_647904101_4548939_7230361_n.jpg

33424_408355269101_647904101_4569102_5184635_n.jpg

34879_407472774101_647904101_4549746_1079429_n.jpg

38227_407462144101_647904101_4549471_727373_n.jpg

5 - I really like this one, But i slightly missed the focus on it ae? which is annoying...
34258_407444714101_647904101_4548934_6481361_n.jpg

b891z7.jpg

98d1qx.jpg

8 - I like this cause of the lift he has going on in his stride, but I dont like the background :grumpy: look all bright and over exposed to me...
nbf3bt.jpg

29188_394296304101_647904101_4198001_7562312_n.jpg

Any comments appriciated - Be brutal, I can handal it :D

You have some wonderful shots here! Here are my thoughts:

1) I like this one, I think you should definitely include it.

2) The horse looks nice in this, but I think the background is a bit distracting with all the odd shapes and colors. I like the DoF but the background could be simpler. Do you have any other head shots you can consider? I would probably leave this one out.

3) I love this shot, it's different, and creative. The light is awesome. Definitely include this one.

4) Great capture, but as in #2 the background is too busy for me.

5) I also love this shot. I didn't realize that you missed focus until you pointed it out, it's not too bad... if it were me I might still include it, but see what everyone else thinks.

6) I think you should include this one. There's nothing striking about it, but there's nothing wrong with it either.

7) Love it! Don't hesitate on this one.

8) Yes, the background is overexposed, but I think it makes the horse pop more, and he/she looks spectacular in this photo.

9) You should upload the photoshopped file so we can see =), it is flat as I see it. I don't really like the straight on look of the horse's face, I don't think it's a flattering angle, but that may just be me.

You might want to check out the website of the employer and see what types of shots they have up on their portfolio.

Is it a large business or a small one? When I worked for a large photo company I had to follow rules as to how to compose my images and what camera settings to use, there was zero creativity involved. A smaller business would probably be more open to creative shots. Then again this also depends entirely on what they offer their customers. Do they shoot events, rider and horse portraits, both? Find out more about the company and it will be easier to figure out just what you'd like to show them.

Good luck!

Thanks for the comments!
I agree with you in alot of them - The background in those two are unfortunate but thats just a Show jumping arena so any equine phtographer would know that right? it was a bit unavoidable wherever I looked... and unfortunaly i dont have actual "photoshop" to clone out the odd shapes (Same with the one of my horse galloping in the paddock)

Could someone with photoshop have a play around with number 8? I love this photo but a few things ruin it, like the background...

The business is quite big - Biggest equine photography business in New Zealnad apparantly the websites www.nzequine.co.nz But Im fairly certian the shooting style is up to you sorta thing, as long as you produce the photo. Yep it a business for traveling araound and photographing horse events

I like 1 for a good capture of action (no part of horse on the ground any more).
I like 3 for a creative and pleasing use of given light.
I like 4 for the captured emotion between rider and horse.

This is what i do on some weekends at events and you need to be able to capture good shot day in day out probably 600+ good shots in any conditions
at just 1 event
#1 might sell but the ears are not forward and that is what the rider looks for
#2 Would sell but the white on the nose would have to be sorted but when printing on site there is no time for photoshop so they need to be right first time
#3 Would not sell
#4 Would sell
#5 Would probably sell but again ears are not forward
#6 Might sell but not great quality
#7 Would not sell,bad positioning
Another thing it looks like there are only 3 horses in these shots

As an outsider looking in, all but 2 of the photos look like ones taken at a local horse farm. I think you need more photos of an "events". Make sure the horses are in action not just trotting.
Although the non-event ones are not bad.

Gary
I think your link to the set is broken. You may want to try again.

There are some real good captures here but I have to ask, did you post this in a forum geared more for the business of photography insted of a noob forum. if not concider. to make clear this forum has some pro and pro graded photographers. But maybe to get a more direct responses for a big decision like a job I would talk to the ones whom DO what you want to.
Imho, they are great!

Show off. LOL JK. But in England it is always cloudy. So if it is not raining, you wont get harsh light! JK. Nice shots!

As above, here's some of mine that have been published to give you an idea

Most reactions

New Topics

Back