Help please!

momeg2

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi there,
I am NOT a photographer, but an animation student in the UK...BUT, i need a photographers help!! I am currently doing my final major project... For this project, I am exploring a painting by my favourite artist. Last week I went to Venice to interview him on the processes of his paintings, but the language barrier made it a bit difficult to understand the photography side of things. I will give you a quick summary of what I understood: he takes a photo, and then makes a gel emulsion which he fixes his photo with on a blank canvas... and then he said something about putting on a resin... Can anybody make sense of these bits and pieces? I would be verrrry grateful!

Thanks in advance,

Megan

Do you have a link to some of his work? Maybe we could figure it out after seeing some.

What it looks and sounds like to me is that he is enlarging a negative to a certain size print, then using a resin type glue or epoxy to secure it to a canvas. Then does his painting on the print. This is really an educated guess. I'm sure there will be someone to come along and know more or elaborate on this for you.

The gel emulsion gives me the impression that a print is being made. Photo paper has an emulsion on it to make the positive from a negative. I have heard of the emulsion referred to as gelatin emulsion.

Possibly he is applying some sort of light sensitive gelatin emulsion to the canvas, and printing an image on to it, before modifying it with paint. The resin may be to seal it. That's my guess.

Thats sounds good. I guess I was thinking that a painting canvas would be too porous to hold the emulsion. I would bet thats what he's doing though.

Most reactions

Back