HELP !! What Lens to buy?

kearypik

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am in need of some advice. I want to purchase a new lens. I have a Canon Rebel xti and love to take pictures of almost anything. I like to take pictures of my kids playing basketball, but the lenses I have now are not that great. I need something with a 2.8 aperture. I also like to take pictures of wildlife or landscape, macro, and my kids sports. When I went to my local camera store they suggested the Tamron 70-200. Its about 700.00. a little more then I wanted to spend. I do understand that I might have to spend that to get better photos. I was just wondering if anyone else has and suggestions on that lens or any other ones.

Well, if you're going to want a fast zoom lens, you're going to need to shell out some scrillions.

$700 for an off brand lens is actually pretty reasonable considering the latest Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 is ~$2,300. Depending on how close you get, the Canon 85mm f/1.8 is a very low cost/high value lens. It will give you 1 1/3 stops more light, and it has USM focusing which is actually pretty fast. Faster than the 85mm f/1.2L. The 85mm f/1.8 may be looking into. It's also great for portraits.

The 85mm lens is very very good for shooting kids and sports within range. However, it does not zoom. The downside of this is that you have to move your body and not just zoom in and out. The plus side is that because there is no zoom, prime lenses are typically sharper and focus much faster than zoom lenses. Moving your feet, while tedious at times, can help to keep your framing varied and force you to try to work different angles. This lens is on sale right now as well and is half the cost of the 70-200 lens.

With that said, the 70-200 2.8 is probably the most popular lens in photography period. From sports shooters, to wedding shooters, to portrait shooters,to wildlife shooters, to street shooters. I am not sure about how well the Tamron performs, but I have the Canon 70-200 f/2.8 and it is the one lens in my bag that will never ever be sold or traded unless 1) I am bankrupt, or 2) a newer version falls into my lap.

How much will it matter not to have IS on the Tamron?

Having IS (or VC on a Tamron), is very helpful at times, but it's not a magic cure for getting sharp photos.

IS/VC helps to counteract blur caused by camera shake. It allows you to get sharper photos at slower shutter speeds...unless your subject is also moving. If your subject is moving, you need a fast shutter speed to help freeze them.

So while it's a great option to have at your disposal, you'll probably be OK without it (provided you can get good shutter speeds).

Have a look at the Tokina 116 pro dx af 11-16mm 2.8 wide its a great lens about £550.00 but great for landscapes dramatic street shots and if you get up close great people shots too.

Have a look at the Tokina 116 pro dx af 11-16mm 2.8 wide its a great lens about £550.00 but great for landscapes dramatic street shots and if you get up close great people shots too.

Careful with this one, wide angle lens up close is the perfect combination to give your aunt Beth a huge bulbous nose or your main squeeze disproportionately large hands.

yes its not a portrait lens. but if you get in close, to say kids playing , dogs rough and tumbling ect then the results can be great, it takes practice ,the lens will distort when used in close, but when learn to work with it, it can really produce fantastic images, this is my own point of view, I am a street photographer and use this lens as my main lens.

yes its not a portrait lens. but if you get in close, to say kids playing , dogs rough and tumbling ect then the results can be great, it takes practice ,the lens will distort when used in close, but when learn to work with it, it can really produce fantastic images, this is my own point of view, I am a street photographer and use this lens as my main lens.

I think they were looking for something more versatile. They want to take photos of their kids playing basket ball... Not ALL OF the kids playing basketball.

I've shot basketball with an 85mm f/1.8 and it works great, especially for indoors. I'd rather have it than a 70-200 f/2.8 for indoor sports. It'll only run you $300-400 and it'll let you use a fairly lower ISO and faster shutter speed.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back