Hi Everyone!

jt92

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey everyone,

I finally bought a DSLR camera after 3 years of debating =D. I don't usually take a lot of pictures...but i definitely will carry this around me everywhere i go now.

What I bought:

Camera: EOS Rebel T4i
Lens: 18-55mm f.3.5-5.6 IS II

What do I usually take pictures of...

Places
Buildings
People (I would think portraits)
Sports

I have played around with the camera and tried to read up on all the information to take quality pictures.
Now I have some questions.

1) Should I sell my 18-55mm for a 18-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS STM lens?
2) Should I also buy a EF 50mm 1.8 AF II or EF 40mm-F2.8 STM?

Thanks

I don't know about question 1 as I haven't got experience with either of those lenses but I do know that the 50mm f/1.8 mentioned in question 2 is a lens many people have or had and it's a very good lens for its price. I use it a lot myself and I'm glad I bought it.

You shouldn't buy anything else right now, or sell your kit lens for that matter. You've done some reading but not yet much shooting and buying additional gear and lenses because you think you need it as oppose to really needing it are two different things. You should spend a couple of months shooting with what you have and then decide what you need. You may conclude that you don't need more zoom than the 18-55 or conversely that you need much more zoom than 135mm you're already considering to get. People will answer your question from their experience but what you really need is your own experience to conclude if you truly need what you're considering getting.

You shouldn't buy anything else right now, or sell your kit lens for that matter. You've done some reading but not yet much shooting and buying additional gear and lenses because you think you need it as oppose to really needing it are two different things. You should spend a couple of months shooting with what you have and then decide what you need. You may conclude that you don't need more zoom than the 18-55 or conversely that you need much more zoom than 135mm you're already considering to get. People will answer your question from their experience but what you really need is your own experience to conclude if you truly need what you're considering getting.

^^^^ This. Give the novelty time to wear off and just learn photography. Your gear will take great photographs. Learn everything about it and then worry about what else you need.

Fair enough, haha I know that's a lot to do. Withholding the urge to buy equipment to experiment with!
So I will take a couple months and shoot around before searching for lenses.

I just have a questions what is the difference between the 50mm f1.8 vs the 40mm f2.8 STM?

50mm f/1.8
Focal length 50mm so it's more zoomed in than the 40mm.
Maximum aperture opening f/1.8 so it can let more light than f/2.8 in allowing for shallower depth and faster shutter speeds (and a slightly better autofocus).

40mm f/2.8
Focal length 40mm so it is less zoomed in than the 50mm allowing for a slightly wider view.
Maximum aperture opening f/2.8 so it can let a little less light in than f/1.8, however this isn't too much of a problem, f/2.8 is more than enough usually.

Thanks Judobreaker :)

Most reactions

Back