Hiking and taking pictures

Dave_D said:
The dry run idea is very good. Alot of my outdoor shooting is large format nowadays. Not the kind of camera you can just sling around your neck and snap shoot with. Now i have paricular goals of shooting just one scene. By the time I get set up meter and what not, almost an hour passes by the time I have my first exposure. I will also work the same spot several times till I get the image or two in a way that truly expresses the affect on print the way I see it. Good luck!

zedin said:
Problem is most of the time I don't have the time to do dry runs. Often I am taking a Friday or Monday off and driving up to the mountains. Being a 6ish hour drive I can't really do it for a 2 day weekend to scout one weekend and go the next.. plus it gets pricey driving =p I just need a timelock on my camera

of course Ansel Adams had the same problems, in one of his books he talked about how as the team he was with climbed a mountain to take photos, he took almost all of them on the way up, and only one or two where they were to take photos... no more shots for the way down, when he saw the most brilliant moments of the day

how's this: a hybrid of a dry run, if your camera is already hard to setup, then you're fine, but if you have a camera that takes a few moments to snap a shot, then make it real hard to take the photo... say, drink, or don't sleep, that way you HAVE to take a tripod, and it takes you a little while to setup... plus being tired or high you don't care about the crap shots because it's just not worth the effort (i'm beginning to recall a test on the tv show Brainiac...)

or you could stare at trees/nature/vegetation all day until you're bored to death of it, get the mediocre out of the head

With the pancake thing, somehow I see myself getting syrup all over the place, getting PO'd and ending up with no photographs. Hmmm...

Most reactions

Back