FoggyLens

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.trishmeeks.weebly.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi All,

Its been a minute since I have been on the forum but I have a question and hope that someone might know an answer.. I went to a Horse Show over the weekend that my friends daughter was in. I of course had my camera in hand and took a few shots I thought where cute. I guess the Horse Association saw them as well and is now interested in a couple images to use for something they are publishing at the end of the session. What would I charge them for the rights?

Thanks everyone!

I show in the nrcha, scrha, aqha, and shot. I have paid anywhere from $ 10 to $ 100 for pictures. It is hard to say, what association was it?

Sent by smoke signals

If it's a one-time use (i.e. the end of show season publication), I believe that normal event rates, such as what you would charge for any magazine-type publication, would apply. The horse show part only comes into the equation if they hire you to be the designated photographer for a show.

Thank you both! Its the APHA. I have never done an event shoot so not sure what the going rates are for magazine-type publications. I shoot family portraits.. lol. any thoughts would be a great help. I think it is for the end of show season publication. So would prob be a one time use unless they want to use them for there website.

Last edited:
I will make some calls tomorrow I know people that will know

Sent by smoke signals

I talked to them yesterday, they are supposed to get back to me tomorrow. Everyone is either still at the youth aqha world show, the scrha show, or the cow town classic
This weekend. Crazy busy weekend for everyone!

Sent by smoke signals

After talking to everybody, and the photographer at the SRCHA show that I am at now he said he has charged $25-$75 for a picture he had shot while at a show he was already at. He said if they were setting up a shoot it is a different deal. He said the price varies depending on how much editing and which association also. I will have my camera out some during the celebrity invitational tonight if i get time. I am helping work the cattle so we will see

Jake thank you so very much!! That is a huge huge help! I was clueless... lol.. : ) Hope you had fun yesterday!!

I guess the Horse Association saw them as well and is now interested in a couple images to use

They just "saw them"? I'm curious how they just "saw them".

orljustin why?

Last edited:
I want to see the pics

Sent by smoke signals

Check to see if there was an official photgrapher there for the group, often times there is one. You might be going up against someone who has the rights to sell to the group and then have a whole nother issue on your hands. It's not unusual for an individual in a group to see personal pictures for one member and try to buy images for themselves or the association when they should be using the official photographer who supports the group. And the bigger the draw on the show the higher the chance of an official photographer.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back