How are reflectors used?

Jon_Are

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I see much talk about using reflectors for outdoor portraits, but nothing about how to use them.

Do you simply hold or prop them so the sunlight is reflected onto your subject? There must be something more to it than this, I would think? How do you determine placement? Or angle? Are they useful even when the sunlight is not particularly bright?

Thanks,

Jon

I see much talk about using reflectors for outdoor portraits, but nothing about how to use them.

Do you simply hold or prop them so the sunlight is reflected onto your subject? There must be something more to it than this, I would think? How do you determine placement? Or angle? Are they useful even when the sunlight is not particularly bright?

Thanks,

Jon

Hi Jon,

There are many different types of reflectors... with different color reflective surfaces...and of course all shapes and sizes. You can use them in a number of way outdoors. I typically "feather" the light with them... meaning... I will find the direction the sun in coming in at... then angle the reflector to bounce/reflect the light back to the subject. Once I have the full force of the reflected light on the subject I will then move the reflector slightly to where the light is not full force on the person... but.. where you can see an increase in the fill light. It will make more sense when you give it a try. :)

Typically my partner will hold the reflector, if she isn't on a shoot... odds are family and friends will be. You can put them to work holding the reflector for you... just educate them in a nice way on how you want them to use the reflector.

Yes... they can be useful to push a little light back on the subject even if there isn't a ton of light in your scene.

So many uses for a reflector.. .and diffusion panel. I have a couple of 4x6 reflector/diffusion panel kits. One way I use them... if the light from the reflector is coming across hard/harsh... I will place a diffusion panel in front of the subject... couple feet back from them... and then use the reflector to push light on the diffusion panel... which then gives me a nice soft, diffused light... just like having a nice softbox on location.

Reflectors/diffusion panels are a great investment IMO.

Hope this helps.
Hatch

As someone who has just bought a set of reflectors - your post was very helpful to me. Thank you :thumbup:

I don't like reflectors. I feel like, if I'm going to go toting around some huge reflector, I'd much rather have another light. It's much more versatile to have another light where you can use modifiers to control with pinpoint precision what you want to do, or even create crazing lighting shapes. Reflectors, IMHO, are a sign of a rank amateur who doesn't know much about lighting. I've work with many "real" pros, and they rarely use reflectors. Why woudl you? It's just a subsitute for another light.

I see much talk about using reflectors for outdoor portraits,

I wouldn't know, I haven't used one since I started in photography.

I don't like reflectors. I feel like, if I'm going to go toting around some huge reflector, I'd much rather have another light. It's much more versatile to have another light where you can use modifiers to control with pinpoint precision what you want to do, or even create crazing lighting shapes. Reflectors, IMHO, are a sign of a rank amateur who doesn't know much about lighting. I've work with many "real" pros, and they rarely use reflectors. Why woudl you? It's just a subsitute for another light.

ummmmm... Scott Kelby ... Dean Collins ... Ken Rockwell ... David Hobby Yep, all rank amateurs! :lmao:

It's not like Scott Kelby wrote the book on photography.....oh wait! He did! Several of them!:er:

It's not like Dean Collins was regarded as a lighting guru, or published any commercially available DVDs on the subject....wait, I think he was and did!:thumbup:

It's not like David Hobby is a recognized portable lighting expert who has distributed DVDs and books, given classes and seminars all over the country or anything....wait for it... he did and does!:confused:

Reflectors are great because they are light, portable, cheap, easy, and don't require batteries. Now don't get me wrong, I like lights too, carry way more strobes than I need with stands, umbrellas, wireless remotes, gels, etc too, but I also won't leave without my reflectors.

Just sayin...:mrgreen:

Allan

How many lights do you have? There are times when the 9 I have are not enough. I've been using reflectors for 30+ years from small hand held to large frame held for reflecting, absorbing and diffusing light. A rank amateur is one that drags around a bunch of extra stuff they don't need, making a setup more difficult, just to make themselves look professional. Frankly, the term professional or "pros" means nothing to me. I have worked with a lot of "professional" photographers, but I learned from and enjoyed working with Accomplished photographers that knew their craft and made their living from it. Reflectors are good for directing light, easy to use when you are setting lighting ratios, light in weight, convenient to carry and setup, require no power, and if you know how to use them make setups a breeze.

Couple of tutorials for the OP:
Photoflex Lighting School - Lighting Principles
How to Use Light Reflectors in Photography Tutorial
Lots of tutorials on lighting including reflectors and reflector use with lighting Photography techniques and tutorials - learn photography - Studio Lighting and Flash

Uh, oh, the KR reference came out. This thread is sure to go to hell in a hand basket.
Reflectors, IMHO, are a sign of a rank amateur who doesn't know much about lighting.
IMO, anybody who thinks reflectors or diffusers are a sign of a rank amateur who doesn't know much about lighting, probably shouldn't own a camera and certainly should not call themselves a photographer.

FWIW, just about every actual pro shoot where the results matter use reflectors and diffusers. They also have people for hair, make up, warddrobe, grips, lighting techs, electricians, etc, etc, etc. I would venture to guess that you have actually never even seen a real photo shoot. And no, you watching a pro set up a light, take a meter reading, and shoot group after group cookie cutter style doesn't count.

ummmmm... Scott Kelby ... Dean Collins ... Ken Rockwell ... David Hobby Yep, all rank amateurs! :lmao:

It's not like Scott Kelby wrote the book on photography.....oh wait! He did! Several of them!:er:

It's not like Dean Collins was regarded as a lighting guru, or published any commercially available DVDs on the subject....wait, I think he was and did!:thumbup:

It's not like David Hobby is a recognized portable lighting expert who has distributed DVDs and books, given classes and seminars all over the country or anything....wait for it... he did and does!:confused:

Reflectors are great because they are light, portable, cheap, easy, and don't require batteries. Now don't get me wrong, I like lights too, carry way more strobes than I need with stands, umbrellas, wireless remotes, gels, etc too, but I also won't leave without my reflectors.

Just sayin...:mrgreen:

Allan

Don't forget to add the late Monte Zucker in the mix. One of the fathers of modern wedding photography and classic portraiture. A master photographer and a great teacher.

Lots of really good info passed on to Jon. Reflectors are just another great tool to add to the kit. I have several different sizes for different uses. It really should be one of the first things a person starting out in photography should invest in. For $30-50 a 5-n-1 can really turn a snap shot in to a nice portrait.

About the other person... if you click the name... and add it to you ignore list... you won't be bothered by the negative posts. :) He's posted all over my links... no clue what he has said after the 1st couple of negative postings...if we all ignore the ignorance... maybe it will just go away? . Don't feed the trolls :)

Best of luck Jon... hope the info helps.
Hatch

This message is hidden because dallasimagery is on your ignore list.

dallasimagery said:
Reflectors, IMHO, are a sign of a rank amateur who doesn't know much about lighting. I've work with many "real" pros, and they rarely use reflectors. Why woudl you?

ROFLMFAO.

Dude...come on...reflectors,scrims, panels,whatever you want to call them, are essential in many situations.

Can you teach me how to douggie, dallasimagery?

I've rarely seen a pro not use some type of reflector or light panel for auto photography. I've seen many real pros use reflectors. I think it's a sign of an amateur to dismiss tools just because they believe there's a negative status symbol attached to it. Hell, if I need a snoot and don't have one, It's not beneath me to use a Captain Crunch box to create one. If you can't get a photo because you think your too good to improvise or use some peice of equipment, I'll be happy to take the job from you.

dallasimagery said:
Reflectors, IMHO, are a sign of a rank amateur who doesn't know much about lighting. I've work with many "real" pros, and they rarely use reflectors. Why woudl you?

ROFLMFAO.

Dude...come on...reflectors,scrims, panels,whatever you want to call them, are essential in many situations.

Can you teach me how to douggie, dallasimagery?

It's teach me how to duckie. Apparently learning how to dougie won't keep you alive.

Most reactions

Back