You've dipped your toes into a very deep and very vast world. I could write 2k+ words about the various types and uses of "film" lights but I have a meeting. :(

I'll say like 90% of the things in life you get what you pay for. And with LED lights you pay for things like anti-flciker, high output and quality of light.

Last edited:
can someone just enlighten me on what you actually pay for when you spend > $100 on camera light equipment that seemly just output light?

Labor
Wages
Salaries
Temp. help wages

Employee Benefits
Vacation Pay
Holiday Pay
Uniforms
Uniform Maintenance
Unemployment
Bonuses
Incentives
Retirement Plan

Building
Warehouse Space
Trash Removal
Lawn Care
Snow removal
Upkeep & Repairs

Office Expenses
Computers
Stationary
Copy machine
Fax machine
Forms
Printing
Software
Office Equipment
Computer maintenance
Files
Postage
Office Supplies

IT
Internet service
Email accounts
Web site
-Initial creation
-Updating
-Maintenance

Taxes
Property Taxes
Tangible Taxes
Pay Roll Taxes
Income Taxes
Sales Tax

Training
Management Training
Office Training
In-House Training
Tech Training
Mfg. Training
Training Equipment
Safety Training
Update classes
License testing
OSHA compliance

Insurance
Building Insurance
Liability Insurance
Employee Insurance
Life Insurance
Business Insurance
Workers Comp.

Utilities
Gas
Electricity
Telephone / Fax lines
Internet Service
Toll Calls
Telephones
Pagers/Cell Phones

Vehicles
Vehicle Maintenance
Fuel
Truck Signs / lettering / vinyl
Tires

Financial
Accounting
Loans
Tax Preparation
Interest
30+ Day Receivables
Bank Charges

Travel
Hotel
Meals
Airline / vehicle

Tools
Company Tools
Safety Equipment
Ladders
2-way Radios
Test Equipment
Replacement Parts
Parts Storage
Damages
Tool Replacement
Job site storage

Legal
Legal advice
Law Suits
Incorporation / LLC fees

Advertising
Marketing
Business cards
Signs
Radio / TV
Newspaper
Flyers / brochures
Material Purchases
Inventory

Misc.
Trips to Supply House
Theft
Uncollected Money
Collection fees
Unbillable Hours
Commissions
Warranty work
Shortages
Bad Checks
Delivery
Credit Card Sales
Drug Testing

You forgot one thing, Because You Can't Make It Yourself?

There is nothing special about them other than the label that says 'for photography'.
Because it's a tool for a trade that can make decent money, they want their cut. Tools are always expensive and often easily duplicated, specialty tools, even more so.

But I'll get you a dollar the OP didn't consider ANY of them when calculating the true 'cost' of his DIY lights.
I'm well aware of the facts that companies have expenses to pay. I don't think you really understand what I meant. What I'm trying to say is that film lights don't seem that technically advanced to me to really justify the prices they charge, considering the fact that they are basically just led lights on a panel with a driver circuit. So I was asking whether they have special features that I'm missing that justify their high cost or if it might be a case of premium branding to increase profit margins.

I feel like the only way i can see any justification to these prices are that either the market for film light is so small they haven't streamlined the process enough and is basically assembling everything by hand or they have such a quality standard that they basically use gold instead of copper for their pcbs.
Out of curiosity, what is the color temp range for each individual LED you used and the tolerances for that particular color temp range per LED? Do they match, are their any areas that have a different color temp than the others?

Those are the kinds of things that go into a quality made product, as well as being the kind of thing a discerning purchaser looks at. It is the reason we get lighting questions about poor results with mixed lighting. You can use it, but it makes getting the results you want tougher. I'm all for DIY for those things that the DIY will not impact the results. Lighting can be tough one.

Most reactions

Back